Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greece 1911-24, Engraved Vs. Lithographed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm embarrassed to ask, but does anyone else have difficulty distinguishing Greek stamps of the engraved/recessed series of 1911-21 (Scott #198-213, Michel #158-173, Yvert #179-93) from those of the lithographed series of 1913-24 (Scott #214-31, Michel #190-207, Yvert #194a-198l)? Usually I find these two printing methods the easiest to distinguish, but not here.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the litho printing was well done making them hard to tell apart. You need to look at these with a magnifier. The engraved clearly has printing raised up above the paper surface while the litho is dead flat against the paper.

All you need is a 10X magnifier or less, not a microscope view as shown. The left side shows the upper left corner of an engraved 2dr lighted from the side to try to emphasize the raised printing. The right side is from the litho 2dr; note that the more ragged look of the edges of lines expected of many litho printings is evident under magnification.

As an aside, the engraved 25L is almost always misidentified in collections, too.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/08/2019 5:57 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have been surprised by the quality of the lithographed series. And with the engraved, I often also look at the reverse for the usual evidence of intaglio printing (inked portions appearing as recesses). But with used stamps I often don't see any. I'll use your technique with magnification of the obverse and, perhaps, side lighting as well. Thanks!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have done pretty well with the lepta varieties, but the drachma values are proving a lot tougher (unless of course there's some evidence of recess printing on the back). The overprinted drachma values would be a good reference, but at this point I haven't any.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05