Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few Of My Us Stamps - Wrangling My Gifted Collection.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran out of VARIO sheets, more come tomorrow - the Mexico stamps kept me busy but wanted to share a few of my US stamps. I ordered a couple of replacements already for when I do the actual album (like a few from the prexies). I also managed to get many other countries into the vario sheets. Still waiting on my starter Album - taking forever! Would love to share my other countries as well. Oh I threw in my Mexico Cinderellas too.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Mrita75 - 12/08/2019 10:46 pm

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   02:24 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection, thank you for sharing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
630 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
+1 with pascoe!
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75:

The three red oval items with the sawtooth edges and eagle design in your final photograph are Mexico registered letter seals. In the literature these are known as "Sunburst Seals" because of their shape.

These were used at most Mexico post offices between 1913 and 1965. They were applied by the postal clerk when the letter was submitted for registration, usually on the reverse to close the envelope flap and secure the contents. Prior to 1913, Mexico used wax seals but as registered mail became more common, the wax seal process was too time-consuming.

Between 1913 and about 1933, most Sunburst seals were blue, and after 1933 they were red. There is one variety that was printed/embossed in green. There are many major and minor varieties.

MEPSI published a monograph about these which can occasionally be found on eBay.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! @mml - the other Mexican pieces - the pink is a revolutionary note. The Green ones, I am not 100% sure - I found 1914 Billete Bilimbique - but I am not sure what that is. Any help is appreciated.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More of my US stamps. Now comes the challenging part - identifying some of them (yes you, you pesky Frankin Washingtons) - I do enjoy a good challenge. Feels good to have most of what I want in stock books (got a few replacements from eBay too)…now I feel like I can get into the details and learn how to use my perforation gauge, Identify coil versus rotary, imperforate, perforated and watermarks sigh. :)

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Air Mail and random.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my newest addition.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More from the US bunch :) nothing of value - but love how they look snug in the Vario sheets and against the black background.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 01/09/2020   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to post my US progress here. From being gifted to "what is a perf gauge? - "Ohhh I need tongs" (lol) to discovering mounts. I know this is so very elementary, but it feels good to place identified (easy I know) stamps in an album. I am not so good with the mount cutting yet so I am slow. I have more that I have identified and look forward to filling out more pages and getting my catalogue. Thanks for checking out my progress.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 01/09/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Mrita75 - 01/09/2020 11:38 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
304 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Mrita75 - 01/10/2020 11:12 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05