Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Of New Precancel Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 585Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sent a couple of precancel varieties to David A. Marasco at BNAPS ""editor BNAPS precancel"" study group...He looked at what I thought maybe 2 additional precancel varieties..He had me forward my find/information to Kyle Taylor at ""The Standard Canada Precancel Catalouge"" for his interpretation of what I had...Below is his reply with pictures.

Quote:
Hi Robert:
For the scan of your Sc 74 1/2 cent, I would say your stamp has the same break pattern as the 6th stamp in the top row of the attached scan. Your stamp is the 3rd stamp found with this style of break, so for now I am looking at listing it as B-T-1c. There may be a future change to list these sub-categories as B-T-2, B-T-3 and so on as they are separate and distinct constant varieties. I will make note of your find for the next edition.

The scan of your Style R Sc 35a is a B-R-1 constant variety in the 7th edition (old B-2). I will add this to the current listing.

Here is a picture of my Scott 74 inserted over Kyle's Scott 75 block..It has the same precancel variety.

Here is the same Scott 74 next to Kyle's precancel variety..

Here is the other precancel variety I sent Kyle...The 6th edition (Sorry, I do not have the 7th edition)...The 6th addition shows a certain variety associated with a Scott 36 and 43...Here is the exact same variety I found on a Scott 35a as shown below.

Robert
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1319 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert - if you are not on the order list for a Canadian philatelic recognition (or haven't been) I'll eat my magnifying glass.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may or may not be another new variety..Have not sent it to David A. Marasco at the precancel study group yet at BNAPS or kyle taylor at ""The Standard Canada Precancel Catalouge"" yet..Just posting here to see if anyone has a match.

It is a variety called P6-7-105 damaged letters in ""ONT""..Now this variety of the Scott 105 is in my 6th edition ""Do not have 7th edition""...yet.
It is the same, BUT, inverted..No indication of the inverted variety.
It appears on DIE I for sure..Don't know if it appears on DIR II.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one more...Shows Scott 105-5-CL-1 ""clipped letter"" variety..My stamp has the same variety, BUT is inverted...The damage on the inverted is POS.1-10, not like the normal which is POS.91-10I...Inverted not recognized in the 6th addition catalouge.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
662 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just so happens I have found these recently and was wondering about them. They look odd to me but I don't know much about the precancels. They are not in my old 5th Edition book. After I read this thread I decided to try sending them to David also. Here are the stamps I sent to him. I think the last one might be a machine cancel. Any thoughts on these?

Edited by jimjung - 12/10/2019 10:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jimjung

My opinion is as follows...Could be wrong...David will verify if my observations are correct or not.
Not sure if these are Ottawa/Montreal printings without stamps in hand.

STAMP ONE: Scott 35 {Style U - U35}
STAMP TWO: Scott 35 {style H - H35}
STAMP THREE: Scott 35 {style N - N35}
STAMP FOUR: Scott 35 {style T - T35}
STAMP FIVE: Scott 35 {????}

Robert

Here is another variety that is inverted...Below is a block of P6-7-106....Nor recognized in the 6th cancel addition...Stamp is bottom right...

Also there is a huge DOT in the middle of the two bottom stamps.
NAIL HEADS. This type occurs when the "nails" that hold the printing plate become loose and leave an ink impression on the stamp.
Edited by wert - 12/10/2019 12:32 pm
Learn More...
8517 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were Canadian precancels applied with a rubber mat? If so, how do you tell a 'variety' from a poorly inked mat? Even if there was a consistent issue with a mat, could not an inking issue easily emulate the same flaw?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don

Quote:
could not an inking issue easily emulate the same flaw?

Good point, In practice since these overprints were applied by an inked hand roller {earlier}, either horizontally or vertically across the stamp sheet, each stamp did not always receive the full impression..Now this may NOT be an ink variety, it may be a worn roller that created the variety.

Line cancels began to be replaced with town and city cancels in 1903 and a printing press was set up in Ottawa to print these.

Pre-cancelled stamps to put on the stamps were pre-printed on sheets of stamps by printing companies. Could be a worn plate to.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
662 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
David responded with the following but I take everything with a grain of salt. I'll have to bring this one to a Show and let you's guys take a look. Thanks for the response.

"Hello Jim: Thanks for your email and photos of precancels, all of the items are
precancels except the last with the wavy lines as you mentioned. The leftmost on
the top line looks like Type S double, S-35-D and the leftmost on the bottom
line is type S, S-35. The other two and too complex to identify without a close
up personal inspection. That is a challenge in the precancel field sometimes.
Besides being an editor of the precancel catalogue I also hold auction sales
which contain Canada precancel stamps. Would you like to have you email placed
on our notification list? Our next sale will be in Feb and there are over 100
lots of precancels in it."
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll have to bring this one to a Show and let you's guys take a look.

Good idea jimjung..With all respect to David, a stamp in hand can verify whether the stamp one and four using measurements on your Scott 35's are

STYLE: R
STYLE: S
STYLE: T
or
STYLE: U

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
7217 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a NEW precancel variety I found and sent to the Editor Kyle at ""The Standard Precancel Catalouge""
Inverted clipped bottom CL1-5-104.
It will be included in the next edition.

Robert

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05