Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latvia 1992 Post Office Generated Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add John Freibergs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect Latvia pre-WW2. Back in 1992 I received this cover on some postcards that I had bought. The center stamp is Latvia Sc. 317 apparently on a Post Office printed cover but the left hand 'stamp' is imperf and unless sheets were printed to make up the rate for overseas mail(which appears to be 500k) could well have been cut from another envelope and applied. I'm guessing that maybe the whole cover was available for purchase that way from the post office since it was cancelled and made it to the US. My question is, is there a catalog number for the printed 100k cover and also is there a number for the 300k added 'stamp'. Or is there a catalog number for the whole combination? Any help you folks could provide would be much appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2423 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someone has the information. Otherwise there is :
Specialiizetais Latvijas Pastmarku un Pasta Sutijumu Katalogs = Specialized Catalogue of Postage Stamps and Postal Stationery of Latvia, 1990-2000 (Latvian) Paperback – 2001
by Egils Plume (Author)
It dépends on how important it is for you.Is it just for 1 cover or are you specialized?
Amazon lists one.I Don't know if its still valid…

https://www.amazon.com/Specialiizet...02011&sr=8-5
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2682 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your 100k stamped postal envelope has been uprated with the additional stamps. The 300k "stamp" is probably a cut out from another postal envelope and glued on. This is against regulations in some countries like the U.S., but tolerated in others. There would not be a catalog number for the combination of the cover plus stamps, but a specialized catalog would have information on the postal stationery item itself like in the catalog listed above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battlestamps my first thought was that it was a cutout too but it looks so neatly done that I was wondering if maybe the post office had done that as a way to make up the 500k rate.
Pillar Of The Community
France
974 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamped envelope is listed in the specialized catalogue (described by perf12) as #A16,and the cut-out is from #A17. Both envelopes are listed too in Michel ganzsachen (stationery) katalog.
Date of issue is 1992,July 18
Edited by vayolene - 12/09/2019 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information. It helps a lot.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05