Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Sheets And Blocks - MNH, 1906-1922 - Information

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 532Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stoystown to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I bought a stamp collection of German sheets and blocks; MNH, 1906-1922, that I am currently in the process of cataloging as to; Type & Valuation for collecting or selling. With the selling part being my question. I have already inventoried my collection, but finding auction or Catalogue valuations for German sheets or blocks of this era to be non-existent in my endeavor.

So the question to the community of German of other members, is where would I find this information for these German stamps. I think that at least some of these blocks and sheets, MNH with borders in most cases, would have some value. But which ones in general and valuations overall is my question. Is there a reference either in printed form or on-line where this information can be readily found? As I said, I can't find anything. I can not even find information on scarcity or whether there is any interest in this specialized area of collecting of German stamps of this era.

I have found the types, or Scott numbers for the stamps in these sheets and blocks so far and have compiled them, but even this information has proven to be unfruitful as to the valuation in my hunt.

Lastly as a part of my question of valuation. I have found values for individual stamps that are contained in these blocks and sheets, this is a lot easier to find, but is there an accepted rule-of-thumb to use the individual stamp value and use a multiplier for a block or sheet of the same stamp? When there is not an accepted method or location to find this information.

And it would seem to me this multiplier would be dependent, higher of lower, on the single stamps values in MNH condition, would at least depend on collectibility and all that that entails. In other words this multiplier would not be generic overall.

Any information or thoughts on finding source references or in determining these values will be appreciated?

Regards, Stoystown
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing I would do is check out e bay.de (Postfrische Briefmarken aus dem deutschen Reich (1919-1923). Germania and others:(Postfrische Briefmarken aus dem deutschen Reich (1900-1918)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Scott catalog will confuse, rather than help you in regard to the stamps of Germany.

The Michel Deutschland-Spezial catalog prices marginal stamps and gives you information and illustrations to determine the differences (and values) of flat plate and rotary press printings. You could borrow a copy from the American Philatelic Research Library (APRL), or you could buy a 10-20 year old version ($10-$20US) with essentially the same information as a new, much more expensive copy.

Perf12 is giving you good information on determining actual market prices for these stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2288 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stoystown,

I can give you a ballpark, but I'd probably need to see photos or scans. As bookbndrbob stated, there are various types and printings, and they can vary wildly in price.

If you've got photos, you can either post them here, or shoot them to me via e-mail -- postmaster -at- the website in my sig.

If not, feel free to send me what info you've compiled and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cheapest stamps are not going to have any premium except for the marginal positions and any plate varieties present. The latter are worth searching for.
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that a lot of that material was remaindered after the inflation era in 1921-1923. The face values by then were so low (200 billion marks equivalent to what was 20 pfenning previously) that they were all sold off into the collector market. Hence lots and lots of sheets were saved. Earlier material, pre-WWI, was pretty heavily looted toward the end of the war and a lot of that was also saved.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stoystown,

Everyone has given you good advice. A Michel Specialized is absolutely essential. You note that some material is from 1906. If so, those would be some of the earlier Germania stamps and some could be valuable, but without the Michel Specialized you're in the dark.

Condition is extremely important, too. And doubly so if you want to sell on the German market.
Edited by Germania - 12/10/2019 3:05 pm
United States
2 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stoystown to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thank you for your responses and information. The eBay.de site looks very useful. The Scotts specialized catalouge I will have to look into purchasing.

Regards

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05