Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Green Stamp Hinge Identification

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coastwatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today I received an accumulation of 1970s through 1990s used US commemoratives that I won on an eBay auction. I noticed that many of them had green stamp hinges still attached and, when I went to remove them, found that they came off as easily as the old Dennison hinges. Does anyone know what kind of hinges these are and if they are still available? Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3845 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If not Dennison then Fold-O-Hinge by Harold Cohn.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither is made today but old packages are available at a premium on eBay and other places. Both brands were not green forever, but the Dennison's at least were of equally peelable quality throughout.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 4 packs of the original Dennison hinges that I got on eBay, but these hinges are a much darker green. I don't have any Fold-O-Hinges to compare them to.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 12/09/2019 10:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher: I've been "hinging" since the 1960s (turned age 70 couple months ago). The original type of Dennison that I used back then was a light to medium green in color and one had to fold it yourself. The Dennison hinges I'm currently using are pre-folded. I got a dozen packs of Dennisons and Fold-Os from a local supplier here in Colorado.

Regarding the Dennison hinges you got on eBay, are they pre-folded?
Edited by Climber Steve - 12/11/2019 10:06 am
Learn More...
7543 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28043 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was a very enjoyable read, Don.
Excellent work as usual.

Like any members whom break down albums, these Green hinges were unmistakable, lovely to peel, but on some stamps the green showed through.
I had always wondered who made them.

PS: I was always fond of the rounded corners.

Edited by rod222 - 12/10/2019 6:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
683 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, Dennison (and perhaps Fold-O) hinges came not just in one color, but in a number of different shades. I've seen the old Dennison hinges in light green and a darker shade of green, as well as in a kind of tan color. Fold-O hinges also varied somewhat in different shades of tan color. Because of this, it's pretty close to impossible to identify a hinge just by its color.

They were also made in different shapes. Dennison hinges were sometimes rectangular with sharp corners, but other times had rounded corners. I have no idea why. So even shape of hinge is not proof of what brand you have. Kind of makes it hard to know what you've got unless they come out of a sealed package!

[Insert my usual lament here about how good hinges are no longer made]
Edited by DrewM - 12/11/2019 03:01 am
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Following up on DrewM's post . . .

Does anyone collect hinges? Do you mount them in an album? If you do collect, then do you hinge your hinges or do you prefer to use mounts so your hinges remain unhinged?

greetings on a snowy Wednesday morning.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Climber Steve, three packs are pre-folded and one is not. I tried posting a photo of the hinges I'm trying to identify so everyone could see the color but, for the life of me, I can't seem to remember how. Perhaps I'll try again later. Let me also add that the ones I'm trying to identify are pre-folded.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 12/11/2019 2:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also enjoyed your excellent Dennison article, Don.

To add to this post, I do not collect old hinges, but I do have a small collection of old hinge packages. I have some of the ones Don illustrated in his piece, plus I have the one shown below. They are simply called 1000 Universal Stamp Hinges with the "Honor-Bilt" trademark on the back. If I remember correctly, "Honor-Bilt" was a name used by H.E. Harris of Boston, Massachusetts, USA. Dennison most likely manufactured these for Harris.

Correct me if I am wrong,
Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus: you are correct about the origin of "Honor-Bilt." I have some left-over Honor-Bilt stamp packet envelopes from the 1960s that now have other stamps stored in them.

Haven't had time yet to figure out Don's coaching on how to scan. So, can't show this right now. I have another Honor Bilt envelope that contained "500 UNIVERSAL STAMP HINGES. Pure and Peelable." The hinges and envelope were prepared for the Ivory (soap) Stamp Club of the mid-1930s. My late father had it, and I also have his Captain Tim's Ivory Stamp Club album.

The old Dennison packets of unfolded green hinges, with rounded corners, also contained a few pieces of rounded card stock, same size as a hinge. I have several of those. But have no idea now what they were for.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The old Dennison packets of unfolded green hinges, with rounded corners, also contained a few pieces of rounded card stock, same size as a hinge. I have several of those. But have no idea now what they were for.

Maybe the card stock was used to help put the fold in the unfolded hinge? Place a hinge on the card stock with a portion of the hinge overhanging the card and then fold it over.
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always assumed that the card stock cut exactly like the hinges was a remnant of the manufacturing process. you got 1000 hinges and a couple of pieces of cardboard.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the depths of my collection, I bring to light this item related to the topic. This is a clipping of a 1939 slogan meter from Great Britain for Gossama stamp mounts. I wish I had the entire cover, as it was sent to a Doctor Walker in Ottumwa, Iowa, USA. The meter slogan contains the outline image of 2 rounded-corner stamp hinges, so I assume Gossama stamp mounts were hinges. I had never heard of these before.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4519 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the company didn't survive the war if it was based in central London. The GB hinges that are most sought-after seem to be Rapkin's Peerless, for which a search on eBay uk turns up next to nothing.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05