Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Subject Cracked Plates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

200 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dan Townsend to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im starting a new topic because I feel it needs to be learned or be debunked and everyone can decide for there self.
I was told my Franklin #9 had no cracked plate and I do question that.
So I went on line and found a wed site called Stampboards.com.
Many members had the same questions I had.
I have a few examples what I have found not saying they are right after all this is the internet.
I have two stamps that have the same flaws I have and they look very similar to mine,you can be the judge.Here is a quote from one member I will give you the link. going on here: Robinson printed the early Laureate issues. To make the plates, he used the original steel die and handstruck 120 individual moulds ... stress on some positions. The pressure of the printing press caused cracked electros which result in white lines in the printed stamp.
http://www.stampboards.com/search.p...te&start=100

I dont know if its legal to use there pictures if its wrong let me know I will delete.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On an engraved design, seems like a crack would hold ink in plate and transfer a solid line on the paper. Most of the US revenues with cracked plates exhibit this characteristic.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Thanks,
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5758 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is not a plate crack. Not sure why you want to compare to Australian states stamps other than to convince yourself you have something you don't. Your 1˘ Franklin stamp is from plate 1 late. If you want to see what a surface crack in a plate 1 late looks like, here you go. See position 40L, as mentioned above the crack will fill with ink. Yours is either a crease or surface scuff. Plate 1 late has been studied extensively and if your stamps position had a surface crack it would certainly have been noticed by now.

http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...inFrame.html

Pillar Of The Community
United States
580 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cracks show up as a dark line. Here is a photo showing a crack in plate II:

Your stamp looks to be scraped on the front of the stamp -- in other words damage.
Edited by alub - 12/09/2019 4:51 pm
Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Im not in this only for knowledge if you want to share that is OK.
I did try to find examples and there weren't very many the edges you show were proclaimed scratches or folds.
So you are saying the white lines are just a different process than the American stamps and this is just a scratch how did the ink lines change direction I dont believe a scratch can do that do you?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1823 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a crack in the plate it will hold ink, and for the #9 you posted, it would print a jagged blue line - such as in the block posted above.

Your question was already answered in the other thread. This isn't going to change the answer.
Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right it looks like a cut I just dont believe the hair lines can change direction magically.Lets try to line up the hair lines turn the triangle so it would you would have a Hugh gap and glue it back together.Also the edge would also be difficult to move, do you see the angle around the oval.
I guess it could be a freak lines and the cuts or damage came later
Valued Member
Learn More...
288 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You classic US guys are rookies when it comes to plate cracks!

If you want to get excited about cracks, at least have more than one!!

Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this idea its most likely you could get a white line. What if the plate wasn't cracked when you did that print and the pressure cracked it right then that would have a white line all the other prints would be black because the ink would fill in the crack unless you cleaned it well.
It would have to be the first one or the other "well cleaned".
And age just made it look like it was cut or well scraped.
Or its just a freak stamp .
Learn More...
7580 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,
It is not a cracked plate, your stamp is damaged. Please move on.
Don

Valued Member
Learn More...
288 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

You have a damaged stamp.

After it was printed (without a plate crack) something gouged the surface of the stamp. Not part of the printing process.

Your stamp is part of one of the most studied series in US philately.

Something that dramatic would have been known 100+ years ago. Many members of this community could plate it down to the exact plate and location (early and or late) and there won't be a single other known copy - because it is not plate related.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6626 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StateRevs, that is a beaut! A famous one like yours is the "Rain Crack" on the 4.9 cent Buckboard coil stamps

Peter
Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone
Just like to be through .
Im starting to crack up with all this crack talk.
Happy Holidays
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05