Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Making Progress With Collection - A Few Of My Favorites

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that I will specialize in Mexico (1st) and US 2nd. Currently I am still organizing and reading and learning everything I can - I need to see the big picture (lol) as in what do I have before I can actually start working on more specifics.

I mean I still am trying to figure out how to use a perf gauge :) ha! - I also read into definitions of many things so that is helping me learn. For my Mexico collection specifically, I would like to fill in some of the gaps I have with the very early stamps and revenues and maybe get my numerals checked out. I seem to be able to find very good prices on MX stamps :). I also would like to learn more about my Exporta series and expand it if I can (I have about 300 of those stamps - but know there are tons of varieties). last but definitely not least - I would just like to identify all of my pre-1940 US stamps. I do not have a ton of them so I think I can get there. Thank you for checking out this newbies stamps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Think that is a sound plan. Just me spouting off; but collecting any country/genre will give you a basic education about perfs, overprints, papers and all the other nuances if you are diligent and enthusiastic; which you certainly seem to be. (Keep it up! :-) Would recommend a Scott or other catalog to help you identify what you have as well. Are you planning to keep your collection in Vario pages or start albums?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Goal is to have a US and Mexico Album. But Vario for now. I'm Hinge shy at the moment... I'm going to take my time to decide and focus on learning the papers, perfs, cancels etc. I'm using my Mystic heirloom album and catalog to help me with Scott numbers. I'm in no rush, just truly enjoying the art of collection and learning on this forum. I'll get there trial and error.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you use Mystic's online catalog? Or did you purchase their catalog? I have trouble with their online version because I feel like you have to know what you're searching for and I don't know what I'm searching for half the time!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning CJ,
I have a printed small catalog that I use (from mystic that they mailed to me) - however, it is definitely not complete - I use the heirloom album and stamp smarter to cross reference. I know getting a Scott catalog would be ideal - I have a public library close by maybe I check it out :)
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes my library has reference catalogs that are fully illustrated. They are split into volumes at my library, so I can only check a couple out at a time.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CJ - If you still want me to help with adding to your Mystic album U.S. it would help if you can match the stamps you need with the Scott Catalog numbers of same. Easiest is if you can check out the Scott U.S. Specialized catalog from your library.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is, when you get to 50 and can email me.

Dave
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will absolutely email you when I reach 50. Thank you!
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to keep an eye out for Scott Specialized that are a few years old on eBay. Back in July I was able to find a 2017 for $15. I like worldwide too much to focus on U.S., but the Specialized works well for me with revenues.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 2010 US specialized for $10 plus shipping. Very clean. It is an extra and I am using it away from my stamp desk so I can look up stuff without having to use the stairs.
Valued Member
42 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elmerfudd22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice thing about stamp collecting is you can do it at any age. I started as a kid and still collect at 74. it is great to learn about countries, their capitals and their currencies. also learn from the stamps about their cultures and their dress. the names of some of the countries have changed over the years as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I am back home, I had a chance to organize a few more world (non US/MX) into my stock books. additional French, British Colonies, Africa and some CTO :)

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a few additional Argentina
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember getting a British Empire stamp album asa teen from which I learned geography and history.
Good luck with your collection.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05