Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Stamp Investment Idea At San

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1171 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   4:22 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed there is a new link near the top of the SAN page that takes you to a Stamp Investment idea from Tom Droege. Check it out.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
http://goscf.com/t/38527

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1848 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I see stamps and investing in the same sentence, without the word "bad", I run the other way.

At least he mentioned Afinsa.
Valued Member
152 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hipstamp has rolled out their own investment idea.... fractional shares of a C3a
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every day, we get news of some scam or another,
Gullible (and I mean that in a kind sense) people, being hooked into some ridiculous investment scheme, or another.
In a way, it can be a good thing, eventually we all will be enured to promises of a better result (generally by spending something)
Buy now pay later schemes, buy now stock low, etc & etc ad nauseum.

When are education systems going to include Financial responsibility courses for our children?

Edited by rod222 - 12/10/2019 6:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1340 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When are education systems going to include Financial responsibility courses for our children?

Why do they need to? I had that course growing up and into my 20s. The instructor was Dad.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do they need to? I had that course growing up and into my 20s. The instructor was Dad.

Consider yourself fortunate, we didn't all have your Dad.
Mine, no disrespect intended, never mentioned anything prudent at all.
I learnt by purchasing an MGB roadster on credit.
That ensuing pain has never left me.

For any Aussies interested, for your kids, buy the book from this fellow,
Been following him for years.
https://barefootinvestor.com/
Edited by rod222 - 12/10/2019 7:02 pm
Valued Member
Canada
460 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter is taking financial literacy stuff in her high-school math course this year. She says its the most useful thing she's ever learned in math class - something she'll actually use in life, unlike 90% of the curriculum.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She says its the most useful thing she's ever learned in math class -

Fabulous news! power to her.
Australians lost half a billion dollars to scammers in 2018.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look familiar?
Invest in a stamp, and you overnight get a straw hat, Pina Colada, and a world cruise.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Americans lost 10.5 Billion dollars to phone scammers in 2018, older Americans lost almost 3 billion dollars to financial scams, romance scams produced a loss of 143 million dollars, 63% of businesses saw an increase in online losses and one healthcare scam accounted for a 2 billion dollar loss by itself. Houston, we have a problem.

Another unrelated (?) statistic from 2018:

Half of all email traffic was spam. HALF.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2017 an astute philatelic investor acquired this item on eBay and the seller saw a stunning ROI of 872%. As for the buyer......

Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dog ate my stamp collection?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
223 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think stamps are a good investment field. I suspect many small traders only make a "profit" if they write off time spent running their business as no cost and a pleasure. but I think it is unfair to show the Stanley gibbons advert of teens of years ago in an article about scams. Are you suggesting they are lying? the guy is quoting what has happened. Anyone should realise what happened in the past doesn't neccessarily happen in the future. BUT at one time Stanley Gibbons were promising to buy back the stamps after a fixed time at a profit. For a reputable company like Stanley Gibbons I don't think there is a scam. you need to be aware it's from a channel Island tax haven, but this is clear by the address.
As far as I am concerned SG produce high quality catalogues and if you want a high quality stamp you can pay their advertised price and get a good stamp. Personally I only look at values as an indicator of rarity. The moment I buy a stamp it's worth only 25% of what I pay for it
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 2017 article about SG's Guernsey "investment" vehicle:

https://www.internationalinvestment...ment-vehicle

A 2011 article which predicted the outcome for the most part:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...returns.html
Edited by rogdcam - 12/11/2019 06:29 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28422 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I think it is unfair to show the Stanley gibbons advert of teens of years ago in an article about scams. Are you suggesting they are lying?

If you cannot see behind the advertisement, then I'd suggest you have a romanticised opinion of British Company you feel you need to protect.

That page shows a selected result of one stamp, no that is not lying, however it suggests that anyone buying into that scheme is going to get a similar result.

It is advertising for business in a sly manner.
No company, no matter what its history has been, how big, Royal warrant or not, is beyond investigation and transparency.

Our big Australian Banks, for years defied investigation, finally when they could no longer resist the public, it was shown they had been charging deceased customers from their accounts for years.

Lets join the very British mantra... "Let right be done"

Rog: Your first link does not work. Thanks for the other link.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned SG produce high quality catalogues

No argument there, It's not my preferred choice catalogue, but for Commonwealth countries, it is unsurpassed.
These investment schemes play off the respect, people have for these productions.
Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 07:04 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05