Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Printer Review: Hp Officejet 7740 Wide Format

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add moneil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have Harris (Liberty and Citation) two post albums which are designed for a 9 x 12 inch paper size. While both album supplements and blank pages are available they can be expensive, the paper quality isn't the best, and they are printed in China. I can design my own pages with one of several programs, including AlbumEasy, or I can adjust the Steiner pages to the 9 x 12 inch format with Libre Office Draw, except Most U.S. home printers can't accept a paper size other than 8-1/2 x 11 inches. I can adjust for this by putting my design or the page size adjusted Steiner album pages on a thumb drive and taking it to a local print shop my cost is typically U.S. 16 cents per page plus paper (and sales tax). This isn't a bad option but it is a nuisance.

I noticed the HP Officejet Pro 7740 All-in-One which has two paper trays and accepts up to 11 x 17 inch paper. All the usual shops seem to list it at $279.99, and they all seem to periodically put it on sale at $179.99. I picked one up a couple of months ago (on sale) and I've been happy with it. I can now print the page size I need, and I can start scanning my album pages so I have an inventory record for insurance purposes. I won't use the color function often, but from past experience if I print a test page once a month the color print heads will stay in good form.

Ink jets and "All-In-One" printers aren't everybody ideal I realize. I would rather have a monochrome laser printer that accepted ledger paper (11x17) and a separate high quality flatbed scanner that could accommodate ledger paper, but that combination would cost considerable more than what I paid, and for the price this printer will be a very functional tool for me.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked into wide format printers so as to be able to print Scott blank album pages. Unfortunately, all the WF printers I could find have pre-set paper sizes. They are not infinitely adjustable.

Wide format printers ( HP7740 and 7720) can take B4 paper, which is 257 x 364 mm (10.1 x 14.3 inches). This is as close as it gets to Scott album pages, which are of the same width but shorter length (254 x 279mm = 10 x 11 inches).

These AE adjustments should make it possible to print AE custom pages on Scott album page stock. Yuo are essentially tricking the printer into thinking its feeding B$ when its really loaded with the shorter Scott pages.

Set AE to print inside the Scott borders. Allow for the extra page length of B4, which will remain blank at the bottom.

To clear the Scott borders, set the AE margins to:

Left = 40mm
right = 25mm
top=20mm
bottom = 100mm

I ultimately decided not to pursue the process further but I'd love to hear from someone who did and how it worked.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by uboatnut - 12/10/2019 5:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can adjust the Steiner pages to the 9 x 12 inch format with Libre Office Draw

moneil,
Can you please state the step by step way of doing the conversion to 9 x 12? I use Libre Office Draw but sometimes find it complicated to do what I want. I'm sure this is easy but you would save me time and frustration.
I have a wide format Brother inkjet printer which I purchased on sale a few years ago for around $100. I prefer Brother because the ink refills are significantly less expensive than HP.
Pillar Of The Community
683 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also print your own pages using a photocopier at a store like Fedex. You need "originals" which could be Steiner pages printed on ordinary copier paper or any other pages you want printed onto paper in your album's size. You also need correctly-sized blank paper on which to print your new pages. Since your album's paper size is 9 x 12 which I assume only fits your particular albums, you'd most likely have to have paper trimmed to that size for you at a print shop. It's not all that expensive, especially if you get hundreds of sheets cut. You'd have to have holes punched at the same time so it fits into your current binders. Round holes are easy to punch which is what I imagine your albums require.

It may seem like a hassle, but I imagine a good print shop could manage this without much trouble for not too much cost to you. Using your Steiner pages (or any other suitable pages you prefer), you can print onto your blank paper -- and you have new pages for your album.

It's even easier if you print onto paper sized for the Scott Specialty/National, Scott International, or Minkus albums. That's because there is a source for blank hole-punched paper in sizes which fit those three albums. It's albumpages(dot)net, a resource I've purchased from with good results. I've photocopied my own pages many times when no other option existed such as when pages had been discontinued, I only needed a few pages to replace pages which had become damaged, and so on. It's easy to do and the results come pretty close to matching the original pages. And you would not need to buy a new printer!
Edited by DrewM - 12/11/2019 02:52 am
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ billresh,

I open a Steiner pdf with LibreOffice Draw. I then right click on the page and then click on "Properties" on the menu that pops up. The screen that appears is labeled "Page Setup". For "Paper Format I change width to 9" and height to 12", orientation is portrait. Then set the margins as you like, I find that 0.75" left and 0.39" top, bottom, and right works well, but one can play around with this to their liking. Click OK. When you hit save it saves this as a ODF Drawing, leaving the original pdf intact.

You now have the original Steiner 8-1/2 x 11 inch border sitting somewhat off center on a 9 x 12 inch page and can do some different things. You can use the mouse to draw a box around the entire image (thereby selecting it as a unit) and can move it around, to center it on the sheet for example. If you will be printing on a sheet that already has a boarder you can click on the border and delete it. Or, you can click on the border and then drag it to fit the new page size.

After saving (and renaming if you want) the document I click on the File tab and then on "Export as PDF" for some reason the printer doesn't like a ODF document but does just fine with a PDF.

I hope this helps!
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, moneil. I'll try it when I get home today.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2610 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I have changed page properties, the contents end up in the upper right corner and can move it as described above. You can also stretch the borders manually to expand them to put more white space inside the frame. Except for the page size change, everything else is done page by page.
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
60 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago I bought an Epson Workforce 1100 when it was still being sold. It is bigger than a breadbox but I bought it brand new for $89. Today, if you can find one, they sell for $500 to nearly $1200. Not worth it, but it has been great for printing album pages.

I use blank Scott Specialty album pages and just designed a template - for the proper margins - using Microsoft Word - nothing fancy. It took some experimentation to get about right. Now I just duplicate the template and insert images and text boxes where I want them.

Finding a good current wide carriage printer is probably a bear, but concerning Networking: if your Network AP has a USB port for external storage, etc., more than likely it can support a printer. Mine does and I merely colocated the printer next to the AP and plugged it in. I am a Mac person, so on my Macbook Pro I have the printer profile as a network printer, and select it to print from it. Works flawlessly.

Ken
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
moneil, your method worked great for me. I did not get a page setup when I right clicked on the page, but on my version of LibreOffice Draw there is a page tab at the top which opens to page setup and I could print directly to my Brother printer.
One thing I always do is to change the print properties to greyscale because if it is set to color it will use up some of the color ink even if it is printing a Steiner black and white page.
Edited by billresh - 12/13/2019 4:08 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
119 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Several years ago I bought an Epson Workforce 1100 when it was still being sold. It is bigger than a breadbox but I bought it brand new for $89. Today, if you can find one, they sell for $500 to nearly $1200.

Here in the UK if you look on Amazon newer versions of large format Epson printers are still being sold for not much money. I bought one a few years ago and it has done me proud.

Prints and scans up to A3, and has individual inks so you don't have to replace everything if one runs out. I use third party inks that cost a tenth of the Epson ones - a full set of Epson inks costs about what the printer cost me. The printer notifies me every time that the ink is low but prints just fine

The only downside really is that compared to regular A4 everyday printers it's pretty big, but at the time I was printing out loads of drawings and plans for work so I needed it, and now I'd find life difficult with a smaller printer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2610 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   06:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall I bought my first laser printer many years ago and paid #1200 and was glad to get it.
Al
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05