Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Victoria T.p.o. Datestamp (1906) - Possible Error

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2011 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't been able to find any information on this datestamp from the Premier Postal website or by googling. I think it may be an error. It reads "M.6.17" - but shouldn't it be "M.G.17"? This is the type that's listed on Premier Postal for T.P.O.17 (the Goulburn Valley line).

Because it's such a clear and distinct strike, I'm reluctant to draw the conclusion that the "6" is an overinked "G."

Does anyone know if "M.6.17" has been sighted before and if it's an error or not?

Send note to Staff
Edited by jimjamtwo - 12/11/2019 6:02 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3695 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have never seen anything like it! Interesting!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2011 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGV, since "6" looks a lot like a "G," I figure it would be an easy mistake to make.

I recently found a strike for "SUILDFORD" rather than "GUILDFORD" presumably because the "S" looks like a "G."
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
No error, over inked hammer.

Actually, comparing the 2, the "G" has no bottom serif, you could be right, the "G" replaced by a "6"

The "MG" meaning escapes me. (Melbourne - Geelong) something like that perhaps?

Ooops..re read This is the type that's listed on Premier Postal for T.P.O.17 (the Goulburn Valley line).

Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 8:08 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could any Victorians explain where the Goulburn Valley may be on this rail map please? or which line would be the Goulburn valley line.
Echuka terminus perhaps?
https://www.railmaps.com.au/southeast.htm

Hmm, looks like the line to Shepparton. (Mansfield Line) ?
Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6707 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, with all due respect, there is a clear dot between the "M" and the "6". I believe it says M.6.17 but have no idea what it means

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, Peter.
I am suggesting the M and the G represent a rail line,
Maybe Melbourne to Goulburn Valley, or
Melbourne : Goulburn Valley line etc.

The cancelling hammer has obviously changed from 1880 to 1906
so the maker may have just added periods ?

If it turns out to be M 6.17 I'll be very surprised, and allot you due praise.

We can, I think, discount time (M 6:17) Morning 6:17 as a hammer would not have a minute service.
Look at the "6" there is something dodgy there, I feel.

Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 8:30 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion
Looks like MG 17 with a corrected 6 hammer,
seen again here........
https://www.sportscards.com/item/vi...12090882880/

and again........
Charles leski auctions.
Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2019 8:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2011 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's clearly a "6." I've looked at quite a few TPO strikes now, and the "G" is very distinct from the "6." It's just a mistake, I think, as these cancels normally have a "G" in that spot.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1407 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
593 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   2:36 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'Goulburn Valley Line' to Numurkah.

"The rail extension to Numukrah (from Shepparton) opened in September 1881 and train-based mail services followed. Upgraded TPO services between Seymour and Numurkah began in 1888 using the MG/TPO17 markers. These TPO services changed considerably over the years and were finally withdrawn in 1917, twenty-nine years after they began".

This from "Victoria: The Travelling Post Office Services 1865-1932, Molnar and Waugh, Trillium Press 2015 pp141

Les Molnar is a great guy and sells as Trilliumstamps on eBay with lots of TPOs and the above book. He maintains the 'StampsofVictoria' site referenced earlier in this thread. His collection of Victorian TPOs was the finest ever formed.

His book makes no mention of the '6' for 'G' and from my examples below, this is normal.

Rod showed MG2, a different implement.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely work John, some great information there. Saved.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
593 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'M.G.' is an abbreviation of 'Mail Guard', post office employees sorting mail on board the train.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28777 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
South Australia
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05