Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Type Of Cancel? Special Delivery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I discovered a 3 on this special delivery stamp. Is this a cancel and what type? Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2676 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duplex cancels, a type of hand stamp postmark.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I will check it out. Appreciate the answer.
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita,
For a general overview of the different postmarks styles you are likely to encounter on US stamps, covers, and post cards, you might look for a small paperback "Postmarks on Postcards" by Richard Helbock. While directed to postcard collectors, it is applicable to all types of mailed material.

There are two editions, with a few more pages in the 2nd edition, but the contents are essentially the same. These are often found on both eBay and Amazon, just check a few offerings for price variations before making a purchase.

US postmarks prior to the 1880s were not really standardized other than what is seen from larger post offices. The Post Office Department only provided "free" postmarking devices to large post offices where postmasters compensations was greater than $1000 (perhaps at most 5% of the offices prior to 1900). Postmasters at small post office had to purchase their own devices from a myriad of vendors who manufactured an almost "infinite" variety of devices with different impression designs.

The Machine Cancel Society has a number of specialized listings and catalogs on the different markings made by automated cancelling machines, but for a basic overview of these, look for "A Collectors Guide to U.S. Machine postmarks, 1871-1925", by Russell F. Hanmer. Again, probably can be found on eBay or Amazon if you watch for it.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 12/12/2019 12:51 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, yes I also have some Mexican stamps and Revenues from 1870-1910 that have a lot of variety so it will be nice to understand them as well. Nora.
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75:

For Mexico stamps, I would start with Scott as it has good photographs of almost all of the issues, but does not go beyond the basic catalog numbering. An older edition would suffice, just make sure its new enough for color images.

For additional detail and information about the district and shipment overprints, probably the best descriptive catalog for Mexico stamps for the period you note is Nicholas Folensbee's "A Catalog of the Stamps of Mexico 1856-1910", which has been published in a number of editions. For basic information and no need for values, any edition should be adequate for identification. Check eBay.

There are several catalogs for Mexico Revenues. The newest and probably best is Michael Roberts, "Mexico's Revenue Stamps", which was published in a digital DVD format early in 2019. It is a significantly expanded revision (525 pages) of the print edition published about 2001 (250 pages). I just looked in my recent issues of Mexicana Journal but could not locate order information. If I can find it, I'll post it later. It was, as I recall, very reasonably priced in this format. It was not considered economically practical to publish this as a print edition because of the size.

Mike
MEPSI 3233
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mike -I actually paid dues and tried to join MEPSI as well. I need to go back to the email I received and see what I did wrong so I can also access and enjoy the membership. A lot to learn about my Mexico stamps, documents, notes and revenues - very exciting journey.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05