Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Moderately Scarce 1st Issue Silk Paper... On Document.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Finding verifiable 1st issue silk papers still on documents is a daunting proposition, as quite frequently you can only see the blue silk threads from the back of the stamp. Sure, you can sweat/steam the stamp from the document to check, and then replace it, but frankly I shy away from documents with stamps removed and replaced. I realize it is an accepted practice with covers, but I just don't like it when a stamp has been removed and replaced.

Finding examples with blue threads visible on the front of the stamp so the document doesn't have to be lifted is far more challenging.

So that's why I jumped on this document when Richard Friedberg offered it to me at Chicagopex. It's an example of the 5-cent Proprietary silk (R29d) on an 1872 affadavit, the added bonus being that it is an illegal usage, which fits nicely in my current area of focus.

I count a minimum of 3, possibly as many as 5 blue threads visible on the face of the stamp.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6255 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two important threads are the one to the right of the 5, and the one above the first r of proprietary. Those are clearly silk threads. The others might or might not be, but it doesn't really matter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic get
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its a nice sharp impression as well. Nice item.
Thanks,
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
821 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the nice embossed seal of the Superior Court.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
56 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank you for posting the stamp with the indicators pointing out the silk threads. Great image of the very nice stamp!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05