Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1st Issue Part Perfs Imperf Vertically Rather Than Horizontally

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,610Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Scott Specialized Catalogue states the following with respect to part perforates:

Quote:
Part perforate stamps are understood to be imperforate horizontally unless otherwise stated.

Part perforate stamps with an asterisk (*) after the value exist imperforate horizontally or vertically. As a general rule, part perforate first issue revenues that are imperforate vertically are considerably scarcer than their imperforate horizontally counterparts.

(Emphasis added).

The difficulty with the last statement is that while the catalogue value represents the value in the "normal" orientation (imperf horizontal), sometimes the scarcity of the opposite orientation bears absolutely no relationship to the scarcity of the normal orientation... so how do you go about valuing the imperf-vertically part perfs? In a perfect world, the catalogue would have separate values for each orientation.

The catalogue numbers that Scott lists as being found imperf vertically is as follows (the ones I consider to be the most commonly found imperf vertically I've highlighted in bold):

R1b (1-cent Express)
R3b (1-cent Proprietary)
R5b (2-cent Bank Check blue)
R6b (2-cent Bank Check orange)*
R9b (2-cent Express blue)
R25b (5-cent Express)
R33b (10-cent Certificate)
R36b (10-cent Inland Exchange)[/b]
R44b (25-cent Certificate)*
R69b ($1 Inland Exchange)*

* I question the existence of these imperf vertically. If you have examples, I would love to see them. I'm pretty sure that R69b are late-printing EFOs now listed as R69e, not legit part perfs.

Stamps not designated as appearing imperf vertically that I have seen either multiples of or convincing singles of:

R32b (10-cent Bill of Lading)
R56b (50-cent Foreign Exchange)

Case in point, as I was flipping through a selection of revenue documents at Chicagopex, I encountered the one below, which made me do a double-take. The 10-cent Inland Exchange part perforate (R36b) is a relatively common stamp, cataloging for $4.50... but for the life of me I couldn't recall ever having seen one imperforate vertically before.

It turns out I do have a lone example, acquired in back in 2015. Perusing all of the usual online stamp venues and dealers turns up zero examples that I can find.

So this is a case where I believe the scarcity is FAR greater than what the catalog value implies.

Do you have any examples of R36b imperf vertically? If so, please post them.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first problem I see is that they do not seem to be from a pair, but are just two singles. If they are genuine then a separated pair would be more likely. And using scissors to separate perforated stamps was fairly frequent. January of 64 is not especially late, but it is somewhat later then usual. Difficult to be sure about these.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this 9b from Richard Friedberg, who said it was ex-Morrissey. But it's dated in August 1864 and there's no cert., so I'd be interested in opinions.

Edited by rustyc - 12/12/2019 6:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Bart, I'm going to disagree with you. Neither Richard (whom I purchased this from), nor Eric whom I showed it to at the show, saw any issue with them. Even with the perforation quality control issues of the era, for these to be trimmed perforated stamps, they both would have to have been absolutely ginormous in size.

The odds would be as long as or even longer than for them to be imperforate vertical part perfs.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:55 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rusty, it's obviously a right margin single, but nothing on its face would make me doubt it. As with any part perf, if it's a single rather than a multiple one can never truly be 100% certain, but I see no reason to question it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have posted these with the 9b, but here are a couple of 5bs, which is also one the part. perfs. you highlighted. As a single, the Wells Fargo is obviously subject to the same uncertainty as the 9b. I don't know where or when I got it. But how about the pair? I purchased it from (gulp) Aldrich almost ten years ago but didn't pay much.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The key to the pair is the perfs. As long as they are genuine then the pair is good. Comparing them to a couple of very inexpensive revenues should prove them one way or the other. I would use a long stamp, such as one of the numerous common 50 cent values to get a nice long run of perfs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1572 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
* I question the existence of these imperf vertically. If you have examples, I would love to see them.

See below.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   8:09 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I don't like any of them as genuine... they all are either the wrong color and/or cancel dates too late. Heck, on some you can see the residual perfs.
Edited by revenuecollector - 12/14/2019 8:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a general rule, part perforate first issue revenues that are imperforate vertically are considerably scarcer than their imperforate horizontally counterparts.

That is one thing that bugs me about Scott's. If they are that much scarcer, then why not have a separate listing for the vertically imperfs from the horizontally imperfs? Put an actual value on them. Simple enough, listing as a bh versus bv.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They would not have a clue how to value them anyway.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with revenuecollector that all the pictured items are no good for the reasons stated. as far as a specific separate listing there are many more revenue issues that Scott should address as to both value and listing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some more for consideration.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   4:44 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R6b and first R27b are definitely bogus. Some of the others could go either way.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Following up, as I just acquired the pair below, which is only the second vertically-imperforate multiple of R36b I have been able to find record of, the other being the lone multiple listed in the Curtis Census, a strip of 3.

Of course, with a normal R36b multiple being such an inexpensive stamp, you wouldn't likely find them lotted as singles in auctions... so who knows how many are actually lurking out there? Still, not finding any others currently on any of the online marketplaces and the census only containing a single multiple, they don't seem commonplace.

I also have a single with an 1863 manuscript cancel, acquired in 2015:

I asked Eric Jackson to check his inventory history for any imperf-vertical R36b that he has had, and he said he had two singles back in 2006, but has never had any multiples.
Edited by revenuecollector - 02/17/2020 8:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a bit tight, but the imperf is too scarce to think it faked.
Edited by revcollector - 02/17/2020 8:14 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,610Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05