Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just A Nice D. L. O. Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I would show this cover I have just found. Canada to Norway and returned to the DLO in Montreal before being returned to the sender with a 3c charge

When I put the text Reist Parti from the boxed Norwegian cachet two online translation sites gave either Erected party or Erected a lot which I assume are both incorrect. Is there anyone here who actually knows the correct translation

Send note to Staff
Edited by Anthraquinone - 12/12/2019 5:34 pm

Pillar Of The Community
7122 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

??????
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wert - 12/12/2019 5:35 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly !!.

I am hoping that someone here knows Norwegian
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It works out if it is German and French. "Reist" is German for "traveling", "reist ab ..." means "gone from .../left ...". "Parti" is French for "departed/left".

The same concept in two different languages.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/12/2019 6:02 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi-brasil

I really like the idea of Norway having a bilingual cachet in French and German .

I understand what you are getting at though. I just thought the online translations were strange.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Machine translation has its uses, but it can't figure out context, either. Plus stuff like philatelic terms and even postal terms don't often translate very well. I get that French gets used in the marking -- UPU requirement. But German? Maybe a lot of mail, or forwarded mail, went between Norway and Germany in 1949. Maybe it's a remnant from German occupation? Norwegian has the same word as German as a noun (reise), but I could find no verb form.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/12/2019 9:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reist / Parti wold make sense as any of left, gone, departed, etc., and would be consistent with the directions above the return address of "If left, Please return to ...", probably chasing a tourist.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think GONE AWAY is the obvious best bet given the context etc. but I will check with one of the Scandinavian societies...

I just thought the machine translation was fun

AQ
Valued Member
173 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

You have a little clue on the front upper left…

Nice cover!

Salutations

Hornet
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I think we all expected the literal translation is TRAVELLED. So GONE AWAY

That came from a Norwegian living in the UK

Quote:
Yes, it is an easy question to answer. Reist / Parti means gone away in Norwegian and French which is the official language of UPU. The word reise means to travel, so reist is the past tense of this - translates literary as travelled!

AQ
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05