Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mexican "Numeral Value Stamps - Color Variance

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Quick question on my Mexican Numerals - now that I am placing them side by side - I see some color variance. Is this due to aging or are there different tones of these numerals? Thank you.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Mrita75 - 12/13/2019 8:10 pm

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2660 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I Don't have the special catalog for Mexico. There are different color types (Catalog Numbers),paper & watermarks.You will have to examine each of them.Studies have been done on these.Ink composition relative to the different printing dates ect.. A short technical study in this link:
http://www.fisica.unam.mx/pixe2007/...07-PI-42.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 12/13/2019 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I will check it out. I can definitely see that some are bright and other's seem dull/different ink - why I figured I would ask as it did not seem that all the changes were due to aging and exposure. Gracias,Nora
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   5:39 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I believe these are postage stamps, not revenues. Scott has a reasonably comprehensive listing of these.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AH you are are correct. When I read this link:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ps_of_Mexico

I did not look close enough that the numeral at the top did not say Service Postal Mexicanos.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
299 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First off, a nice set of stamps. These stamps were printed over a number of years (12 printings, 1886-1894, Scott 174-241) with different perforations, watermarks, paper types, and colors. The "red" stamps could be scarlet, vermillion, carmine or orange. The "green" stamps green, yellow green or blue green. These stamps range in value from pennies to hundreds of dollars.
I love these stamps.
Edited by Willwood42 - 12/13/2019 9:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Will I love these stamps as well. My Aunt gifted me many stamps and of all of the collections, the Mexican stamps are the largest and of great interest to me. ( I have been sorting them for almost two weeks now).

I came across these 5 Numeral stamps - is this considered a printing error or perf error? would this have it's own Scott number - or just a minor error in printing? last but not least, is that cancel I little castle shape I see? Thank you for your response.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora: now that you've joined MEPSI, inquire on the web site about getting a copy of the Follansbee Catalogue of the Stamps of Mexico, 1856 - 1910. The current edition dates from 2015 and it is the definitive catalogue to have for classic Mexico issues. Regarding the Numeral issues, Follansbee states that these stamps can be difficult to find well centered. Like your pair of 5 centavos blue stamps.

The Catalogue goes on to identify a range of papers used to print the Numerals, both watermarked and unwatermarked. Follansbee also notes that forgeries of perforations and forged ledger lines; for the stamps printed with greenish lines; are common. He suggests getting the more expensive stamps expertized.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent information Steve, thank you. I will definitely be looking into that and reading while on Christmas break from work. I am looking forward to going home to spend time with my Father to show him the collection and in particular discuss the stamps from Mexico. Nora.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05