Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Missing Period On The Ro49 Byam Private Die

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 881Next Topic  
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kbt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently found out that there are copies of the RO49 where the period after the top BYAM appears to be missing. I looked through my stash and found three (all on watermarked paper). I've attached a scan of the with and without versions. Most of the RO49s seem to be with the period, including the sample in the Scott catalog. Does anyone know the story here?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a watermarked paper with the periods (although I think they are likely commas).

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone off list suggested the period is likely a comma, which would make a lot more sense.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that is a nice multiple of the I variety. I am so jealous.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at 10 examples (RO49d)and found one missing the comma. I wonder if it is an inking issue, or if it re occurs on the plate position(s) it came from.
KBT, did you read this somewhere or was it something you noticed while studying the stamp?? I did not notice this on any old or silk paper versions.
Thanks,
Robert
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at lot 803 Siegel auction 1187. It was a group of Byam stamps on custom pages and there are couple spaces with notation for this variety. You can use Siegel power search to find it.

I looked at the pages again and noticed that the non-comma instances were all watermarked. Would be interesting to see if we can spot one on some other paper.

I looked at mine under magnification and it doesn't look like the ink ran or something like that. The ink in that are was very consistent. But I am no expert in this.

I like the idea of one or more of the plate positions having this "feature". It would be great to find a sheet with both.

Keith
Valued Member
59 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second the motion, sideshowbob's strip of RO49is is quite spectacular!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most watermarked m&m's were printed by the BEP; some were printed by NBN. The only way to find that variety on other papers is if that plate was one created by NBN that was later used by the BEP, so it might show up on silk paper stamps. It is extremely unlikely to show up on old paper stamps printed by Butler & Carpenter. This was a large company and there were multiple plates created.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see the bottom right stamp of the block around the Inter Rev area, there seems to be something interesting going on there, possibly a minor plate variety.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The colored die proofs do not seem to have the period or comma after Byam.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i think that either a new or re-engraved die or plate is responsible for the variety. if it was originally a comma the tail wore faster than the rest of the impression and would appear as a period. that said the wrappers all have commas.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The wrappers were produced by American Phototype, not the engravers of the stamps.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rev you are correct. I was only trying to point out that all the ads, wrappers and references I have seen had commas, not mislead or infer who printed what which is well known.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
102 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoNo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anybody found a single only vertically perforated single stamp of RO49is with margins large enough to be considered a part perforated stamp of the First Issue Revenue, I haven't.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have only seen multiples, which I strongly suspect is how they were used.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 881Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05