Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 564 Weird Perforation At The Top

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cardinal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I was going through one of the stamp binders I have and noticed a line of scott 564 stamps. Nothing out of the ordinary, but this stamp in particular has a 6.3 perf at the top. This does not seem to be the actual top of the single stamp, rather the bottom part of another stamp. Everything is connected, and the cancel mark is consistent.

I hope to gain some understanding on this topic, whether it be a process I didn't know or the idea that this is a rare stamp.
Any ideas will be a big help.

Thanks.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Cardinal - 12/14/2019 9:50 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those aren't perfs at the very top - that is just the sheet edge which was cut wavy. The actual perf holes s at the top of the stamp were incompletely ct but can sill be seen.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cardinal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is a wavy cut at the top limited to printing locations or other factors. I saw one other different type of stamp so far online that has a wavy cut at the top. But all the scott 564 stamps that I can find online have straight cuts.

Does anyone else have a scott 564 with a wavy cut at the top?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1993 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, you have to correctly identify the stamp first. This is not perf 11 but perf 11x10.5. Please remeasure to prove it yourself.

The wavy cut line is typical of rotary press issues, which #693 is. The National Postal Museum has a plate block with the wavy cut:
https://arago.si.edu/record_172645_img_1.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neophyte US Collector.
There seems so much wrong with that stamp to me.
What are the 2 pieces of paper on the back, which appear to have the same perforations? has it been repaired and reperfed?
Looks like a hinge repairing the top as well.
Dashed if I can understand it.

Pillar Of The Community
2466 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, The stamp is from the upper right corner of a pane. It has blind perforations between the top side and the upper selvage. The right selvage is folded to the back side - note the wavy line parcel cancel has "OHIO" continuous if it were unfolded. It needs a bath and unfolding.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It needs a bath and unfolding.

Thank you John,
it still leaves me querying the bottom, it appears to me to have another piece of paper there also?

Oops...now I see it, I mistook a "bent tooth" as a perforation hole.
Edited by rod222 - 12/15/2019 2:31 pm
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cardinal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. It was a scott 693.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1993 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good. Thanks for checking and posting the results.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05