Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Know Where The Micro-Printing Is On The Sparkling Holidays Stamps.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add eraserman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Usually USPS is micro-printed on them somewhere.

I have looked at these under a magnifying glass but I can not find it.

I can not find it on any of the four stamps.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that there was any microprint on the Sparkling Holidays issue. You can usually determine whether microprint may be present by looking at the technical details for the issue in the bi-weekly postal bulletin (available on usps.com). Look for the "Manufacturing Process" entry occasionally you will see "Offset, Microprint".
As an example, I just looked at two of the 2018 holiday stamps Madonna & Child and Kwanzaa. Both had microprint specified. After a lengthy search, I did find a microprinted USPS on the Madonna & Child. I never did find one on the Kwanzaa however. While I think "Microprint" usually (or probably) refers to some microprinted lettering, this need not be the case. I really don't know whether "Microprint" being specified means that there will definitely be microprinted lettering on the stamp. I do however believe that without "Microprint" being specified, there will be none. Be forewarned: this is all supposition on my part perhaps someone in the know can clarify the situation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a followup to my earlier post. Returned today to the 2018 Kwanzaa stamp. Scanned it into my computer & used software to blow it up. At which point, the microprinted USPS was obvious.
So I then turned my attention to another stamp for which I had been unable to locate any microprint RW85 (Mallards). Under "Manufacturing Process", the postal bulletin had listed Microprint "FWS" for this stamp. I had guessed that I should look for a microprinted FWS (Federal Wildlife Service) as opposed to a USPS. But even after blowing this one up with computer software, I could locate no microprint whatsoever. Of course, this doesn't mean that there is no microprint. One of my first uses of the computer to magnify a stamp was for the FAS (Flag for All Seasons) issue. One of the vendor's stamps had extremely faint microprint. Even magnified, it was very difficult to locate without using the computer, I would never have located it. But locate it I did.
Edited by JLLebbert - 12/17/2019 3:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1165 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLL, by any chance is the microprint hidden in the tagging? Canada Post is doing that now and on some stamps it cannot be seen until the UV light is on. Great way to thwart the forgers.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 12/17/2019 9:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of the stamps I have examined, it is only the duck stamps for which I've been unable to locate microprint. I do not know whether the microprint is hidden as you suggest. My first inclination is to say no since there is no real need to prevent reuse of duck stamps they can't be used for postage and are good for only a single year. But I also know that at least some of the stamps do exhibit a response under short UV, sometimes a very interesting response. E.g., parts of the duck may glow while others do not. This may be due to the ink being used or it may be some form of creative tagging. Also, microprint can be used for other reasons than security. I recall reading that the first use of microprint on U.S. stamps was on the 1992 wildflowers issue. It was used to create part of the dot pattern on one of the stamps. So it's entirely possible that there is no microprinted message on the stamp. Or, as you suggest, it may be well hidden. Maybe someone out there knows the answer.
One thing that I have learned by searching for microprint on U.S. stamps is that the computer can be a highly useful magnification tool.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05