Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Trio Of Spanish American War First Day Of Tax Usages... Well Sort Of.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 665Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5308 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   10:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked these up from a few different sources. July 1, 1898 was the first day of the Spanish American War taxes. As with FDCs in the front of the book, first day of tax usages are highly collectible. Additionally, last day of tax usages are also frequently sought after.

First, a check on the account of the Pittsfield Transportation Co., drawn on the Third National Bank of Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

Next, a draft from the Banking House of Eavey, Lane & Co. in Hagerstown, Maryland.

And lastly, one that's a bit of a head scratcher. A draft from the German Savings Bank of Chester, Iowa with a lovely Elk vignette at left and a small beehive vignette at bottom, dated July 2, 1898. However the stamp is canceled July 1, 1898. The stamp is tied at left and the hand matches the signature line... so what was going on here? Clerical error? Postdated check?

Unusual.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat.

What about after last day of tax usages? Those must be a thing, no? Or did the word get out sufficiently that they just didn't happen?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
as a potential answer to your question re dating.........July 1 st was a Sunday and some groups do not conduct business on what they hold is the Lord's day. Another thought is that the checks were pre-stamped and dated when used, so as not to run foul of the law, with the checks dated when drawn. I have an example from a long run of checks one drawn the day before the tax, and the next a first day usage consecutively numbered.
As to the last day of use for stamps, I imagine one could find uses with a diligent search. As there was a grace period for redemption of unused stamps and printed checks most larger firms would just delayed a day or made provision for plain checks to be available before hand. I would also imagine that stamped or pre-printed checks used after the repeal could also be found, but would be far less common.
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dan,

Earliest date from my battleship calendar collection. I will let others opine as to why or how it came to be...

Edited by StateRevs - 12/19/2019 11:16 am
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And my latest date; June 24, 1902.

I am after 1902 canx dates if anyone has them lying around
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The June cancel was probably just printed that day. It didn't matter to them anyway, it was a Friday job, and it might have been asked to be done quickly to have products ready for the start of the next week. Or perhaps the company might have had business reasons for doing so, such as differentiating this week's product from next weeks product. It's cool to us as collectors, but for sure no one at the time was thinking about us.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05