Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Farthing Stamps (1/4d) From British Empire

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28391 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was once a farthing value of Australia, (King Edward Vlll)
but was destroyed by burning from orders to do so.

The Bermuda One farthing Provisional.
http://www.bermudacollectorssociety...bwisc-lo.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/18/2019 9:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1312 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 22crows,

I appreciate what you're saying. I meant postal equivalent rather than the exchange rate.

Hence the ½pi being green, 1½pi being red, 2½pi being blue.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to add as far as farthing stamps are concerned, but a few comments on the farthing itself. This was, of course a coin, now obsolete, equal to one quarter of an old penny from the time when there were 240 pennies to the pound sterling. Thus, a farthing was one nine hundred and sixtieth of a pound. This would be like if there were such a thing as a one tenth of a cent coin in the US. Of course, some things are priced using tenths of a cent, gasoline for example where a typical price might be $2.99 and nine tenths per gallon, and a few years ago there were several US stamps depicting old means of transport that had fractional penny denominations, but of course you could never buy exactly one unit of these things without rounding up to the nearest whole penny. However, in the UK and the various other countries that used the farthing (until 1961 in the UK) you actually could use the farthing to pay exact amounts. I was born in the UK and I'm old enough to remember when it was still in circulation and even things that were priced using farthings, and while there was nothing you could buy for just one farthing, I can remember seeing buns in the bakery for one penny and a farthing (usually said as :"penny farthing", which, incidentally was the name of the old 19th century bicycles that had one big wheel in the front and a small wheel in the back). There were even lower denomination coins issued by the Royal Mint: a third of a farthing (one two thousand eight hundred and eightieth of a pound!) which was used exclusively in Malta, which, as shown here had farthing stamps, so there you COULD buy something for a farthing: one postage stamp. These, amazingly were in circulation until as recently as 1913. There were even quarter farthings issued in the 1850's for use exclusively in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka. This is an almost incomprehensibly small amount of money and it's hard to see how the mint could have made a profit on minting and then issuing them.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28391 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Farthings (coins) were also in use in America.
Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2019 12:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
805 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can remember seeing buns in the bakery for one penny and a farthing (usually said as :"penny farthing", which, incidentally was the name of the old 19th century bicycles that had one big wheel in the front and a small wheel in the back).

I have an 1879 postal card from Heligoland with that denomination, but there it's expressed as "five farthings".

Pillar Of The Community
France
974 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On some stamps from Heligoland we have 1 pfennig = 1 farthing
But on one issue 3 pfennig = 2 ½ farthing
And on another one 5 pf = 3 farthings

I assume that on your card this is 10pf = 5 farthings
Edited by vayolene - 12/19/2019 01:59 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28391 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ever considered why your Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos islands farthing stamps are almost always mint, or mint hinged?
CTO Cancelling to Order, was not permitted in the colonies back then (any members have proof?)
Ergo, only dealers prepared covers may have had them.
Non philatelic covers bearing farthing stamps must be very rare.

Why is it then, the Turks and Caicos farthing used, is catalogued at half the price of mint?

Attribution : Noel Davenhill.

Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying. I meant postal equivalent rather than the exchange rate.

Postal Equivalent: One East African Cent was worth 1% of a Shilling = half the value of a farthing.

Edited by rod222 - 01/16/2020 11:06 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05