Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Not Official Stamps" "Postage Due 70c"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,125Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

719 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Whenever I mail the Vermont Philatelist to our members, I always send a test copy to myself. Last week (December 14, 2019) I mailed the envelope using imperf Loonie Toons stamps from the right section of the booklets they came from. The other stamps in the booklet had been used so I didn't destroy a booklet.

When I went to the post office today, the clerk told me that the postmaster wanted to see me and he handed me the test envelope with notations that the stamps were not "official" and I needed to pay 70c postage due. I told the postmaster they were official stamps and explained why they didn't have perforations. He knows that I know a lot more about the philatelic aspect of US stamps than he does. He told me not to worry about paying postage due and gave me the envelope.

This has happened to me before. A few years ago I used stamps from an imperforate press sheet to mail about 75 covers to my stamp club members from a post office in Vermont. My postmaster got a phone call from the Vermont postmaster warning him that I was using computer printed imperforate stamps to defraud the post office. Again, once I explained to my postmaster everything was fine.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1194 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats too funny. They were official enough to cancel them though! As I am trying to wrap my thoughts around this one I have a few questions. Why would there be .70c due? Is the correct postal rate $1.00 as you have applied to the cover? Wouldn't the postage due be at least equal to the underpaid amount?

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just amused at the concept of being called down to the postmaster's office. Flashbacks of visits to my elementary school principal!
Edited by RK1468 - 12/18/2019 10:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So: magenta cancels. Was this handed across the PO counter?; looks to be about the required thickness. And did whatever clerk figure the weight correctly? The local Marker Monkey must have been on vacation, too, as here are supposedly non-stamps with postal cancels only still applied.

A great modern cover.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/19/2019 04:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
719 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postage rate in the US for 2 ounces is $ .70. I overpaid the rate because I wanted the stamps to be used. The magenta handcancels were added by my local post office when they handed the package back to me. It's cslled "revenue protection".

In the US, most post offices don't cancel their mail locally. All mail from this area goes to a center in Albany NY which is about 120 miles from here. Albany cancels mail from the Canadian border through an area well south of Albany. One local post office won't even cancel the local mail. It all goes to Albany and back sometimes taking a few days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sounds like an efficient system
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha @ the "marker monkey" comment. I'm more of a Pen Pirahna myself. Seen too many people re-using stamps, especially the string of 1c that non-profits use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the arrows pointing out the stamps, in case you miss them.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dwwjr56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes for a very nice modern cover. At least they didnt totally destroy the stamp faces... At first I wondered why you didnt remove them from the backing, and then I realized that these would/could then have been thought of as stamps that someone just cut away the perfs to look like the imperf stamps.

Love the cover and the story.

Now report to the detention hall!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,125Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05