Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Topic On The Sun?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 200 / Views: 7,819Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member

403 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add idebee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I have got several collectibles of different kinds , which are all somewhat related to the sun. And I then checked my old collections and find some more, which I found them together to be a very interesting topic that I have never thought to make before. I did not see a topic thread here dedicated to the sun, so I will post them in this thread. If I was wrong, please let me know. Anything related to the sun are very welcome, let's see how this mighty power source have influenced us in the every aspect of life.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1319 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A good area to study. But it is more than an influence. It is the facilitator - a necessary pre-condition.

As for this topical area, I'd suggest sunrise, sunset, sunlight's influence on art (as in the Impressionists) - and maybe some interesting associated phenomena such as northern lights- which I think are a consequence of light and magnetism. But not sure.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, CanadaStamp, thanks you for the great suggestions, you expand my horizons! Let's start with this stamp, which actually reminds me of Terry Fox Run. This man is called Kua Fu, a giant who is also known for his heroic running, very famous in Chinese traditional culture. The legend has it that he chased the sun in an attempt to catch it, but as he got closer and closer he became too thirsty and died at last. It's kinda like Greek & Roman mythology , but historians believes that it has some real historical foundations and this story just shows the remote ancestors of the Chinese people begun to notice the importance of the sun as a facilitator, as you said, on their lives, and then begin to migrate to where they believe the sun is hidden in the northwest trying to enjoy more lights, warmth and harvests. But later they are trapped in deserts and died from lack of water resources.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely new topic! The sun was studied by many countries during its quiet phase in 1964-65. This was the International Year of the Quiet Sun. The DDR issued a souvenir sheet in which both the corona and the spots were featured.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one from the United States.
Scott #1107

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here is another from the US celebrating the solar eclipse.
scott 5211 issued in 2017. This one is heat sensitive,, so the design changes from the obscured sun with dark moon, to the moon revealed... kind of cool.

I wonder how well the heat sensitive properties of this stamp will hold up. Have to check into this.
Edited by jleb1979 - 12/21/2019 09:03 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from issues that directly feature the sun, there are many that depict sunrises or sunsets on earth.
Here are the US Panama-Pacific 5 cent which is Scott #399 in perf 12 issued in 1913 and then Scott #403 in perf 10, issued 1915. Both show the Golden Gate (this is in 1913 before the bridge) . Shown is my #403.

And a similar work of engraving the sun's rays on the 1935 US airmail scott C20. There are also a 20cent C21 in green and a 50 cent red which is C22.

Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, it's the first time for me to hear about the phrase the quiet sun, I think I will have to catch up on that, and very glad to know a little more about the sun, thank you very much!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Idebee, Poland issued a set of stamps for the same quiet sun phase in 1964-65. There are several web-sites to visit for more information on this phenomenon. Stamp 1.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poland, stamp 2.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poland, stamp 3, with a pretty little blue-green Earth.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29894 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Argentina
Watermark #88
(Multiple Suns)

or...watermark #85 (Small Sun)

France 1999 3 francs
A "Cool" Sun

Indian State : Postmark.
Edited by rod222 - 12/22/2019 12:43 am
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, jleb1979, thanks for these great additions! The heat sensitive stamp is really cool. What is most interesting me now is how hot is it needed to make the change happening. Do you need to put it near a fire or you just need to hold it in your hand?

The Goldern Bridge ones are really beautiful sceneries, this is actually a sub categoray of this topic, the Sun is often related to famous scenic spots and sight-seeing, isn't. And the word Golden reminds me of a similar scenenic spot in Beijing, famous for the sun rays as well: Jin Tai Xi Zhao (The Golden Terrace in the Glow of the Setting Sun). It has several hundred years of histroy and is appreciated as one of the eight most beautiful scenaeries in old Beijing. Although there is not a stamp for it, because anyway it's pretty local, there is a scenery postmark at least.

In the stamp of the International Geographical Year, do you have any hints why the design has the Sun and the hands? I am wondering what the stamp is trying to say?

Jin Tai subway station's mural painting by modern artists, giving an idea of what the scenery looked like in ancient Beijing.
Edited by idebee - 12/22/2019 03:00 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Idebee, The stamp was designed to change at the touch of a finger. Specifically, the ink is reactive at 29 degrees Celsius (82.4 Fahrenheit) .
There is an article in Linn's about the process, and the prospects for degradation of this stamp by exposure to heat and light.
https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...nk-test.html

You'll note in the article an announcement that Guernsey was also issuing a heat sensitive eclipse stamp, which also depicts the sun....
Edited by jleb1979 - 12/22/2019 08:40 am
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, I have done some homework, it looks like even the mighty sun needs some rest from time to time. :-) It is kinda reminds me of the rocking chairs!

Hi, Rod222, thanks for the Cool stamps. Even the Sun needs to protect himself from himself. The biggest enemy of us is ourselves, the old saying is not nonsense! Why is there a V on the left, a bird?
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today is the winter solstice day. Let's take a look at the 24 Solar Terms of China on stamps, sheet and pictorial postmark. Actually this is a 4-year continuous issuing, and this year's issue is the last 6 terms of winter. The 24 terms are mainly used to guide agricultural activities, but have profound influences on all aspects of people's daily life.

Edited by idebee - 12/22/2019 10:01 am
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 200 / Views: 7,819Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05