Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Topic On The Sun?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,548Next Topic
Page: of 15
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, jleb1979, thanks for the infos! That is very convenient to change at a touch, but it will be surely very easy to degrade if it's too sensitive. It reminds me of a little scientic game we played before, which is called the Secret Ink. We used white vinegar and onion juice to write a letter on white paper. and when it is dry, the words can not be seen. But when the letter is put near a fire, the words will appear again. :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Copernicus of Poland was perhaps the most well-known astronomer to teach about the sun being at the center of the planetary system, not the earth. 1993
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/23/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kris! I have a Coernicus of China, but only a portrati without a sun on the stamp.
This one looks much better for this topict!

Alignment of all 9 planets in 1982, not going to happen in our lifetimes again! Are we lucky or unlucky?

This stamp was voted as the best stamp of 1982 in China.
Edited by idebee - 12/23/2019 07:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful sheet illustrating the solar eclipse seen way up north from the Faroe Islands. That eclipse of March 20, 2015 was unusual because it passed over the North Pole. Maybe someone knows the name of the mountain seen in the sheet. Interesting to see so many seabirds flying - they do get mixed up when the sun disappears.

(Hi Idebee, Beautiful planetary system, even the asteroid belt is shown. K.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, this is really spectacular! Even looking at this eclipse on screen, I have to draw a deep breath! The owls in another thread might be happy when it gets dark. :- One reason of the Alignment stamp chosen as the best is said to be its scientific accuracy.

Sun, Bird, Flower and Me, by 10-year old Pu Hua. It is interesting that there is a rainbow inside the sun, is this also impressionist?
Edited by idebee - 12/24/2019 06:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Santa welcomes the morning sun from a snowy rooftop after a busy night delivering presents, 2004.

(Have a happy Christmas Day.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Kris, Happy Christmas! This design is very unique, and it is my first time see Santa with his hat off, uh-oh! :-)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
469 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Christmas stamp, Kris. It is amusing to see the Santa hat come off....
While searching for photography related stamps, a topic I collect, I just ran across this one from 1999, issued to promote recycling by Andorra (French admin) which is scott #505.

Edited to add another two I ran across from Romania.
First, from 1985, Scott #3254 commemorating International
Youth Year.

And from 1994 Scott # 3968, St. Maries Church in Ohio

- Jonathan
Edited by jleb1979 - 12/25/2019 12:17 pm
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonathan, thanks for these interesting additions! I have just learnt the lesson from Kris stamp that the solar corona can only be seen in a total eclipse, so I suppose Andorra must be promoting recycling only in total solar eclipse :-) And I have recently received a card with an interesting Chinese stamp, which I have never seen before. There is a young photographer in it, maybe you would like to take a look, let me know you thread's link I still can not search the forum. :-(
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Bavarian forest the way it looks at sunrise at this time of year.

Interesting to see the Romanian Orthodox Church of Cleveland on the Romanian stamp!

Pillar Of The Community
3659 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some additional US examples:

Skylab, Scott 1529 and 1915.

Energy conservation and development, Scott 1547, 1723-4.

Solar energy, Scott 2006 and 2952.

And a similar solar energy themed stamp from India, since it was handy.

Sun rays, Scott 1245 and 1680.

Cancels from Sun Valley and Sun City.

Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, it's really nice to see the Bavarian forest on stamp. You know what , the Princess Sissy used to be one of the most popular movies in China. Sissy and his father's hunting in the forests is really cherished memories of many people. But I like better the way it looks in the warmer seasons, with a rutting grouse in branches perhaps. :-)
Edited by idebee - 12/27/2019 02:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful sunset over the ocean. The sun's contours are irregular due to atmospheric conditions over the water.

(Hi John, I have always enjoyed that youngster's drawing of the sun being able to plug in to a house to pick up some extra energy. K.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, John, great additions, need time to digest them, but I can feel much warmer just by having all these suns shining on the screen! :-) Thanks a lot!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An atmospheric light phenomenon which occurs when the air carries minute crystals of ice and the sun is close to the horizon are called sun dogs - light at either side of the sun with a delicate halo effect. (photo by Frank Reardon, the town is Iqaluit, way up on Baffin Island) One in a set of stamps on weather phenomena, 2015
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,548Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05