Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Topic On The Sun?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,577Next Topic
Page: of 15
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, thanks a lot! It's great to see the beautiful scenery as well as learn some new knowledge. I really begin to enjoy watching the sun now and even can't help taking some pictures myself when I saw the sun rising from behind some buildings this morning.

Great to get to know John Muir! Not only a conservationist, feels like a philosopher like Lao Tzu & Zhuang Tzu of China!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Child-art on U.S. Christmas seals cropped from sheets when they did designs from the states and territories:

There are others with stars or moons other non-defined lights in the sky.

Advertising covers:

Is this a sun behind Uncle Sam?

And lastly, from Great Britain. Are there more in this set? (add: I liked the chemical irony of the "CFC" in the cancel dial, although I know it can't stand for chlorofluorocarbon!)
Edited by John Becker - 12/28/2019 08:36 am
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, John#65292;you have solved a long standing question of mine! I have some those Christmas Seals but don't know what they are. I even don't know they are called Christmas seals, so I cannot even start a search. And till today, I think they are not stamps. Only after seeing your post, I now know what they are, and glad to know that they are not "weeds"! Thanks a lot!

As for the last British stamps, what I like is the little word puzzle it presents . After a little research, I think I find the answer, haha! :- And by the way , the drawing is also like a puzzle, at first sight, I thought the suns were octopus and spider until I saw the caption, These are the works of kids or big artists? I really can't tell the difference between them sometimes. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." -Eeyore
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A se-tenant pair of stamps featuring the solar system. The planets are a bit crowded around the sun and obviously the differences in size are not quite accurate. Für die Jugend charity stamps are issued every year and the surcharge supports various projects for young folks. 2011

(P.S. The double cross on the Christmas seals represents tuberculosis; such seals have been around for more than a century. They and Easter seals make a lovely collection.)
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweden issues seals for their national holiday, called flag day. The seal for 1966 features a youngster's drawing of a typical flag scene. The proceeds from the sale of these seals support various charities.
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." -Eeyore

He is a philosopher too! I can't agree more. Maybe we should start a topic on weeds stamp! :-)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this a sun behind Uncle Sam?

I have the same question when I saw this Beijing's digital color postmark to be released in the coming new year of rat! Aren't they nocturnal . :-)
Edited by idebee - 12/29/2019 11:03 pm
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, thanks for the background infos! I have learnt a new word too, Cinderella Stamp#65292; although I am not quite sure why it's called Cinderella. I like the last Sweden stamp especially, flying flags and sun . I used to like watching flying flags. There is a hotel near where I shop and they hang half a dozen flags of Northern European countries. And when there is wind blowing, those colorful flags are really a beautiful scenery. Hey, I find a new good topic!

Edited by idebee - 12/29/2019 11:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Idebee, Yes rats are usually nocturnal, but you can see that they make an exception every 12 years. The one on the cancel is wearing its finery and looking out the hole of his apartment, waiting for his year to begin. As you can see in the Canadian stamp of twelve years ago, the rat lady was all dressed up and even had a parasol! There are crepuscular rays of sun coming in through the hole and they can be quite beautiful.
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, I can understand the cancel better now, thanks! But I am still a little terrified, I can feel they are coming,the whole year, lots of rats and mice, unstoppable. I think what I can do is to chant, if you get to know them , they are flowers to...... :-)

Lu Shan Mountain , Sunshine Peek. Mountain peaks and sunshine are always together to form famous beautiful scenic spots.

Edited by idebee - 12/30/2019 03:02 am
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kris' Canadian stamp reminds me of this . To-be-released digital postmark for the year of rat by Qin Huangdao City

Is this relevant to this topic? Of course! It's a traditional Chinese folk tale, guess what could happened between a mouse bride and the sun.:-)
Edited by idebee - 12/30/2019 03:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few cormorants stand gazing out over the Atlantic to the last setting sun of the millennium just twenty years ago. I wonder if they will be there again this evening to say farewell to the second decade of the present millennium.

(Hi Idebee, Rats are only relevant to the sun topic in a distant way: the seasons of the year are related to the Earth's changing position relative to the sun. K.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, nice stamp , nice scenery! I have found out interesting new things both for you and for myself. I will post them later!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Twenty years ago today the first sun of the millennium was greeted in India. Motto for this decade: use the sun's energy much more effectively so that we don't need to dig up coal and pump up oil!
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,577Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05