Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Topic On The Sun?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,563Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Holy Family left Bethlehem after having been warned that it was no longer safe to stay. The Family traveled all night and into the next day when the sun was high in the sky. (Comment: the saguaro cactus on the right can be found in Brazil, but not in Palestine or Egypt, even in 1980)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, I can't help and laughed, It's like reading a humor picture in papers or magazines when you come across design errors on stamps and the most interesting part is that they are not intended to make people laugh, which makes it more funny. The Brazilian designer must take it for granted that there must be saguaro cactus in every desert. Actually we make common knowledge mistakes often too just like him, which makes us look embarrassed. I heard a story about a famous Japanese TV hostess who checked at night into a famous hotel near Fuji Mountain. They arranged a best room for her. In the next morning when she got up, she saw Mt. Fuji outside her window and asked the waitress: The mountain is so beautiful, what is the name of it. At first the waitress thought she was just kidding, but later found out that she was serious. She was shocked and ran out of the room and cried to other fellow workers that Kuroyanagi doesn't know Mt. Fuji. It was really embarrassing for Miss Kuroyanagi especially as a celebrity as she is.:-) Maybe we could start a topic on these funny errors later, I have seen quite a few of them recently, it must be fun and educational.
Edited by idebee - 01/07/2020 03:17 am
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Find a sun on Mali's Coat of Arms! Searching for the sun in flag stamps is really fun.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
470 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just ran into a sun

Israel 2016. Scott #2106.
From a set of four seasons, this one is going to the beach with your dog.

Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonathan, thanks a lot! It's always enjoyable to watch the sun in different parts of the world. Although the sun maybe the same, but the feeling is totally new! Actually I can see another sun on the stamp too. :-) And it's quite interesting to notice that the puppy has no eyes ??

Tai Shan Mountain's sunrise is perhaps the most famous in China. I used to be there in college summer vacation .

Edited by idebee - 01/07/2020 11:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marianne has graced French postage stamps from the very beginning. Here she is, wearing a sprig of oak, at sunrise. This design, by Louis-Charles Muller, was used during the late 1950s to early 60s on definitives.

(Idebee, if you are interested in unusual designs, etc you could look at the thread Stamps that make you go... Huh?? Could be on page 5 of the list. Better to add to a thread than to start a new one, OK? K.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, I think I must have overlooked that thread because I didn't quite understand that title. I will check out that thread later, thanks!

Find a sun in a long neglected stamp, and get to know José Marti !

Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/09/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sun rays always make good backgrounds!
Edited by idebee - 01/09/2020 10:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Otto Pankok (1893-1966) titled his woodcut "Sea and Sun". Much of Pankok's work was in black and white, or colored woodcuts. The clouds in this work are a soft brown in the original.
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
470 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ran into more suns in the course of other work I'm doing - they are everywhere...

From Jersey, a 2000 issue

And from Norway, a 1996 issue (Scott 1117)

Last - I finally got around to pulling this up for you: Another highly stylized sun graces the state flag of New Mexico. So here is the New Mexico flag from the United States 2010 state flags issue (scott 4309), followed by the 1976 flags issue (scott 1679). The red sun symbol comes from the Zia people, a first nation that lives in New Mexico and who revere the sun as holy. It was designed in 1920, to highlight the state's Native American Pueblo and Nuevo México Hispano roots.

- Jonathan
Edited by jleb1979 - 01/10/2020 4:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The El Salvadorian stamp for the International Year of Deserts is very clear: that's a skull next to the last two leaves on a stalk. The sun in several colors intensifies the effect. 2006

(A great child's drawing for solar power, Jleb!)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonathan, thanks a lot for all the infos. If you do not say, I will not be able to recognize it as a sun on the New Mexico flag. It's a unique sun, isn't it. And the Zia sun reminds me of a postmark I have with the station name of Sun Temple, where common people worshiped the sun god at the spring equinox day.

This is a traditional Sun Cake for the spring equinox, and the sun pattern is quite like the Zia's spiral and rays, isn't it? While the temple has been destroyed for long , glad that the food and the custom remains! :-
Edited by idebee - 01/11/2020 02:08 am
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's really interesting to see these 2 suns in one frame.

Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The sun in several colors intensifies the effect.

Hi, Kris, your sun reminds me of this . Beautiful sun! Kind of a combination of sun and rainbow.
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 10,563Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05