Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Cancer Is Spreading...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 3,342Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5312 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:19 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dagnab it, I had hoped that this horrific practice would not rear its ugly head in the revenues field.

As controversial as this opinion might be, were I a person of infinite means, I would buy up items like this and trim them down just to get these abominations off the market.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMEN-US-S...dSs&LH_BIN=1

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6270 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the double whammy. Butchering of a multiple and grading of proofs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw this lot on eBay.

Disgusting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is zero harm in grading proofs. Cutting up multiples like this example is silly though.
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What ever happened to having at least a pair for imperforate stamps instead of this butchery where eight surrounding stamps are ruined for the sake of one stamp? To me this is a block of nine (plate proof) stamps with eight damaged (plate proof) stamps in it. (The philatelic "keep imperforates in at least pairs" law should be passed.)
Edited by jogil - 12/21/2019 3:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think items like this are ugly. Furthermore, at $10 per proof, the block of nine prior to destruction would have sold for $90. And then there is the cost of the certificate, so the creation of this monstrosity is, in the long run, a money loser.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
creation of this monstrosity is, in the long run, a money loser.

Some make no sense in the short run:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MALACK-766...AOSwSoNd2Thf

You could get the whole sheet, make 4 of these, for less than this single.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The philatelic "keep imperforates in at least pairs" law should be passed.

They still wreck large blocks to make "100J" pairs:

Edited by alub - 12/21/2019 4:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sickening. People who do this should be staked out on an anthill.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're swimming against the tide, rogdcam.

I'm not looking for paper cuts across the eyeballs, but perhaps they could bill them for certifying nine stamps. Eight of 'em come back bad?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6540 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think "monstrosity" sums it up pretty well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perhaps they could bill them for certifying nine stamps.

Especially when they do this:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hardly swimming across the tide. Grading is harmless. "Creating" these jumbos is just plain nonsense. I have said before that if the PF, PSE, PSAG and others refused to grade these things it would stop. Anything for a buck. There must be a market for them or else it would not happen. So we need an anthill and tongue pliers for the grading agencies, the people that cut them up, the buyers, the auction houses that auction them (that includes Siegel), eBay, HipStamp, sundry dealers both small and large and so on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The graders, dealers, and auction houses are simply businesses catering to a clientele. It's that clientele that drive this; saying it's the others is just the tail wagging the dog.
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful what you wish for...
I think that US personal property rights supersede the wishes of folks who think this is an ethical issue. If a person wants to light cigars with multiples they are have the right to; pretty sure that most folks do not want to live in a country which allows others to come into your house and confiscate your personal property based upon their beliefs.
Don

(For the record I also dislike and disagree with this practice. I just do not see a good resolution unless major organizations and/or benefactors would start a 'stamp conservancy' movement and started purchasing important material and locking it up into a permanent conservation holdings. Of course this effectively removes the material from ever again being owned by any collectors... )
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 3,342Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05