Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Capital Of Asoka Stamps Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cjbailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've googled and searched and have been unable to find the (probably very obvious) answer. I searched through stampworld as well.

Were some of these stamps imperforate? Was it a different issue date than the perforate variety?

Again, I apologize in advance if this is blatantly obvious to most.

Send note to Staff
Edited by cjbailey - 12/21/2019 11:19 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are newer than my area of interest, but I assume they are cutouts from postal stationery. I say this because the Pillar has been used on postal cards, at least, and India has used printed representations of perfs around indicia before.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6669 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two on the right side look like cut-outs from postal stationery, postcards or other printed matter

Peter
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I was thinking too. I was thrown off because you can see a dotted guideline on the border of the stamps. The orange/brown stamp shows the printed "perforate" guide along the lower right hand side and the purple stamp is easier to see along the top.

If it was on an envelope, would it have this border around it? Or did it come from a sheet/block that wasn't perforated?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4633 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:33 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dotted lines may be where the recipient was supposed to tear the official envelope open.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info. I found it interesting when sorting. I'm going to look deeper on the internet to see if I can find an example of the envelope.
Pillar Of The Community
France
979 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

(From StampWorld.com)

(not mine)
Edited by vayolene - 12/21/2019 11:46 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stationery
Service is Government Issue, not seen on entire.
These I think are lettersheets, but why Government?
The dotted line above the indicia suggests to me Lettersheets.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!! Thank you! I was looking at the wrong years in stampworld.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the multiple vayolene...interesting.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much appreciated, Rod. I like the design of these. I have to keep on sorting to find a few more so I can make a Steiner page like yours - though your pages set the bar very high! :)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
425 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is helpful. Jumping in, is this probably the same case for these Mexican stamps? Postal stationary or A perforated and imperf version? Thank you as well.
Edited by Mrita75 - 12/22/2019 12:14 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stationery Mrita, you can generally tell by thickness and colour (cream or buff)

Asoka.
I see lettercards / stationery were introduced c1951
I have seen indicia glued to cover, but not the Asoka
The multiples are very interesting, look forward to having this solved....

Pillar Of The Community
France
979 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Cruz de Palenque" stationery envelope

And one more block of official stamps from India
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have emailed an Indian Philatelist Blogger,
Living with Hobby is Living in Happiness.... this attracted me.

I'll post if I get a reply,
perhaps block stamps used for telegrams?

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested to see his answer. Wild love to know more about why they were made this way.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05