Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Capital Of Asoka Stamps Question

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phila India 2008 notes that these were printed by India Security Press, Nasik (Nashik) on thick cream paper, no watermark, ungummed, offset, simulated perforations, in sheets of 140, widely separated by dotted lines in the respective colours of the stamps. The issue date is 10 Dec 1981.

Starting 22 Nov 1982, they were back to perfed Officials.

scb/Keijo noted that the perfs on Officials were different before (gen. 15x14) and after (12.5x13) this issue, and theorized that perhaps this issue was imperforate due to a problem with the perforator.

ISP printed the regular issues of postage stamps in the same time frame, and at a quick glance, none of them shared the perfs of the Officials, in the year or two on either side of 1981.

I realize that doesn't add much.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Colin, Saved.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Colin, saved.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
x
Edited by rod222 - 12/22/2019 5:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/22/2019   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A broken perforator. Funny they would print the peforations around the design as if they were just photocopying the stamp. They could have just printed the design.

An imperforated stamp with a picture of a perforate stamp!
Pillar Of The Community
France
979 Posts
Posted 12/23/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simulated perforations on stamps from Lithuania

Michel # 461/4

Michel # 472
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/23/2019   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing. I like the irony of these designs.
Valued Member
Learn More...
210 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG O231/41 are simulated perforations in the 5th edition India catalogue
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo S4L
Valued Member
Learn More...
210 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I happen to be trying to sort some of the same issue, but not the imperf. ones and am having some trouble and am looking for those with more experience to lend a hand.....

Im using the Scott 2019 Vol 3B. The 4 stamps in the top row I measure to be 15 x 14 and I can see no watermarks except for the 25p which is a large star Wmk 39 is the closest, but the star I have is larger - takes up the whole back paracically. I ID these stamps as O13's but the 15x14's in the cat. are imperf's and unwatermarked. What are they?

The middle two are each 13x13 and Wmk 360. I see no size match ?

The last two - can make out the perfs and the paper seems to be rougher and a little darker than the others and a little thicker. Cant make out any watermarks however 1 of the, the 1r is id'd as Scott O181.

This is driving me nuts - the Wmk's are tough and invisible!!

Tks much.

Valued Member
Learn More...
210 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what I think to be Wmk 39 from the 25p in the top row. Looks larger than what I see in the Scott catalogue and is not applicable for these??

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fairly straight forward to me.
First 4
SG Type 026 (1976) Perf 15 x 14
Watermark large star and India Govt in sheet

SGO222
SGO219
SGO217
SGO216

Middle 2 1982
Type O26
Perf 12.5 x 13
Watermark large star and India Govt in sheet

SG O243
SG O250

The last two belong to one of the above sets

Get a Known perf stamp, then line (the teeth) it up with your rough perfed stamps and see if they match a particular guage.
You can ID the most wicked perfed stamps this way.

Any officials with the Asokan Capital Wmk (sideways) can be identified further.
Difficult watermarks are easy if you have used stamps, just pop 'em in cold water for a few minutes.

Good Luck
Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2019 03:03 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what I think to be Wmk 39 from the 25p in the top row. Looks larger than what I see in the Scott catalogue and is not applicable for these??

Yes that has me stumped, that looks like a SG Wmk 3 "Large Broad Star"

Indian "Large Star " should measure 15mm - 16mm from point to point

Remember the size is measurable, on a small faced stamp, it's going to look bigger.
Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2019 03:13 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
210 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes that has me stumped, that looks like a SG Wmk 3 "Large Broad Star"

Indian "Large Star " should measure 15mm - 16mm from point to point

Remember the size is measurable, on a small faced stamp, it's going to look bigger.

Well, I went to measure but noticed my star is 5 pointed and all the SG ones are 6 pointed?!? Mystery prevails....

Ooops - before I hit the send button, I glanced to the Scott Wmk 360, Star and GOVT INDIA and it measures from point to point aprox 25mm in the book which matches what I have. So is it possible to have a Wmk 360 in which the star takes up the whole back not allowing room for any of the GOVT INDIA to show?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ooops - before I hit the send button, I glanced to the Scott Wmk 360, Star and GOVT INDIA and it measures from point to point aprox 25mm in the book which matches what I have. So is it possible to have a Wmk 360 in which the star takes up the whole back not allowing room for any of the GOVT INDIA to show?

Caution.
The Catalogue image may not be to scale.
You have to balance your opinion between discovering a variety, and seeing something that is not there.

One can easily be seduced by thinking one has "new discovery"

I am ignorant of what Stanley Gibbons considers "India Govt in sheet"
I do not know what "in sheet" means.
Perhaps other members can chip in.

If I were you, and in a learning stage, I would place the stamps in water, ID the watermarks, and measure whilst wet.
Put the whole process down to your experience.

Place your results here so we can benefit.

Notice the Large broad star has flatter "arms"

Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2019 4:09 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05