Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Title Page For A New Exhibit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

682 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm working on a new exhibit for the USA 1941 3c Vermont Statehood stamp. I've put together my title page (and yes, I know that I'll need to change the title page as my exhibit is fine tuned). However, I would accept constructive suggestions as to what is good and what might need to be changed on the title page. The font is Arial Narrow. My goal is to have it ready to show at the 2020 Boxborough Show at the beginning of May.

If you can't see the small jpg here is another place I have put it. http://glennestus.com/903Title1st.jpg

Send note to Staff
Edited by Glenn Estus - 12/24/2019 8:49 pm

Learn More...
7707 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glenn,
I would mate the cachet caption with the cover by changing the white space a bit (moving the caption closer to the cover) like this…

I would also change the sentence 'The plan of the exhibit;' to 'The organization of the exhibit;' or perhaps ''The organization of the exhibit is as follows;'
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
682 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker: I agree with you, but am trying to discover how to make the space between the caption lines a little more concise. I'm using PAGES on a Mac and can't seem to find the right command.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 12/24/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rugface to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use Pages and absolutely love it. I started making album/exhibit pages with AppleWorks and transitioned to Pages when AW was no longer supported. Depending on the version of Pages you're using, the menus/dialog boxes vary but you will have a "Text" dialog/box. There will be a "Line" or "Spacing" option, in which you can select "Single", "Double", "Multiple", "Exactly", etc. I believe "Single" is the default, but I much prefer "Exactly". It gives you much more control. For most text, I use a size that is two numbers larger than the font size (i.e., if the font size is 12, I set the line space to 14). If you want to compress the spacing in the cover caption, just reduce the line size number.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2647 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume the choice of a condensed font is to save space. I agree the spacing of the elements could be evened out some.

As an aside, I try to avoid using Arial out of principle. There are some options like Liberation Sans Condensed or Noto Sans Condensed (both open source fonts) for a slightly different look. Of course, at small sizes the differences often do not show.
Al
Edited by angore - 12/25/2019 07:28 am
Valued Member
55 Posts
Posted 12/25/2019   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glenn,

1. I notice that your exhibit in mainly on the first day covers of the 1941 Virginia statehood stamp. However, this is not mentioned in the title. How about changing the title to reflect this, something like "The 1941 3c Virginia Statehood Issue and its First Day Covers"?

2. Would you want to consider giving a brief aim (or purpose) of your exhibit after your introduction (first paragraph)? What story are you telling through your exhibit?

3. There seems to be a fair bit of history in the cachet caption (e.g. when FDR was born, when he began his term as POTUS). Are these details necessary (or desirable) in a predominantly FDC exhibit? I thought the caption should focus on FDC-related details, such as more details on the McIntyre cachet (How many different types of McIntyre cachets were there? How many of each type were produced?) etc.

4. Did you use any reference for your exhibit? Wanna list 1-2 down for the judges?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am having similar problems.
I am not keen on Arial Narrow, I cannot explain why, but just doesn't seem fat enough.
I have yet to find a suitable heading Font.

I need to speak to Brick, from "The Middle"
Pillar Of The Community
2464 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't use two words when one will do. "Exhibit Plan" is enough of a header, centered and then boxed with the rest of the plan text.

The standard sequence for an outline is Roman numerals, upper case letters, Arabic numerals, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4638 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   05:42 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might I offer a few comments as a passer-by, rather than as a US collector?

- opening para: change "1st" to "first" and tighten up the text
- caption: shorten (something along the lines of "comic cachet drawing a parallel between the longevity of Roosevelt's presidency and Vermont's statehood") and get rid of the bold
- perhaps underline the key word of each sub-section. Get rid of unnecessary capitals (eg "Autographs", "Covered Bridges") and unnecessary inverted commas (eg "official"). What is the French reference?

Good luck with this. Too challenging for me!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
976 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd work on the bottom part:
Go with something simple, like "Exhibit Plan:"
Then, capitalize the first letter of each bullet point and try to keep them in parallel - so something like:
- Stamp production - photographic essays, plates and production, specimens
- Cancellations - official, unofficial, hand cancellations, fancy cancellation (or whatever makes sense here)
- First Day Covers - domestic and foreign destinations
- Autographed Covers - people relevant and related to the Vermont Statehood stamp
- Cachets - grouped by subject

(Text for example purposes, but I hope you get the idea)
Good luck with it.
C.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05