Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent Revenue Acquisitions

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   3:24 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most of these are from Chicagopex last month, but a couple are from other sources.

First the stamps...

A quaintly positioned manuscript cancel on a 3rd issue $3.

A nice R22c pair with a perfectly positioned handstamp cancel.

The first R1b part perf I've seen with double transfer in both bottom numerals. In theory, many of the consistent plate varieties we find on the perforated stamps should be findable on imperfs and part perfs (later plates notwithstanding) but that isn't always the case.

A great example of an oval steel die handstamp cancel... razor sharp.

An R14c with a Gurney's proof card handstamp cancel, an absolutely huge jumbo of a stamp.

Two examples of R151a, the 2-cent orange on green paper invert. The 2-cent inverts are the most common of the 1st-3rd issue and proprietary inverted centers, but finding 4-margin examples is not easy. Most examples are badly off center.

Now on to the documents...

First, a trio of bisects on document fragments... it's too bad they are not complete documents.

A matched pair of document fragments, each with a pair of 2-cent USIR and a bisect, paying 5 cents tax. The two bisects comprise the top and bottom halves of the same stamp. The second image is a composite image of the two halves, showing that they are indeed parts of the same stamp.

It's unusual to find bisected part perfs. Below is a fragment of an April 1864 stock certificate from the Little Schuylkill Navigation Rail Road and Coal Co. with two R37b singles and a bisected single, paying 25 cents tax, which was the correct rate for a stock certificate.

A fragment of an 1867 tax lien document with an R36e tied with a great bold oval handstamp from the county treasurer. The fragment came with a photocopy of a complete identical document dated the same day, showing what appears to be the other half of the same stamp.

An estate receipt featuring an illegal usage of a very nice example of a 2-cent "Black Jack".

Another illegal usage, caught, and revenue stamp subsequently affixed.

An illegal usage of a 2-cent Playing Cards (R12c) as documentary.

A document showing a cancel from the 'Continental Screw Co.' now referred to as the U.S. government.

A document with20 examples of R27c, with a strip of 5 all showing double transfers at bottom.

A very meticulous manuscript cancel that at first glance looks like it might be a printed cancel.

A check with great aesthetics, both in terms of cancel and vignette.

A document fragment that I *really* wish was complete, with a block of 6 and two singles of R29c, an illegal usage of proprietary stamps as documentaries.

Two documents with great ornate handstamp cancels, one circular and one oval.

An aesthetically interesting document from the Andes Insurance Co., printed in orange and gold inks.

A great large-format printed signature cancel.

A great example of a holographic (handwritten) check in two colors.

A rather nondescript insurance policy... until I turned it over. That ornate premium receipt was worth the price of admission.

Four lovely bills of lading from the Spanish American War period.

And lastly, a great two-color billhead, both in terms of vignette and color contrast.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1243 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing of the stamps or documents but can appreciate how much they may mean to anyone's collection.
Thanks for displaying them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite impressive material. Thanks for sharing
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get why you *really* wanted the complete document...stay of execution, Wow.
On the insurance document: Who are the signatures that make it worth admission. I must admit I tried finding more info, but alas failed. You have some really great history there and all are wonderful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that means waiving stay of execution of the collection on the note, not literally a "stay of execution" in the death penalty sense.

On the insurance document, it's not the signatories, but rather the ornate printing that makes it remarkable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6397 Posts
Posted 12/26/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
102 Broadway is directly across the street from a major NYC landmark, Trinity Church.
Valued Member
Canada
464 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice stuff - really like those ornate handstamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2233 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   11:27 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stuff as usual. I don't see any double transfers in the R1b's though.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   12:24 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see any double transfers in the R1b's though.

Bottom corner numeral 1s in the top stamp, the "fangs" on the 1s.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6397 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see that in person; it really doesn't look like a DT to me either.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4183 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting material Rev.

What the heck are the Mexican revenues doing in your thread?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry, I must have posted to the wrong thread. I thought it was asking for recent revenues that we have acquired. My bad - I will delete.
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
191 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita! Its good to be so excited and participate even if it was the wrong page! To be passionate is a wonderful thing, never lose it.

RevenueCollector a beautiful collection. I am a huge fan of the lovely penmanship on bank cheques!
Edited by lostandfound - 01/22/2020 04:54 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lackemacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R1b "double transfer" is a foreign entry which occurs on a number of positions on this plate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
R1b "double transfer" is a foreign entry which occurs on a number of positions on this plate.

In previous email conversations, Dick Celler referred to them as double transfers. If they are instead foreign entries, what are they foreign entries of? It appears to be the same design, not one of a different stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2233 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't clear. Is lackemacher saying the R1b in this thread is one of these foreign entry positions?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05