Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

E & G Bothwell, Clutha Mills Watermaek

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
109 Posts
Posted 12/27/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In Unitrade also 1/2c is specified with Bothwell watermark. On my resource done I find that except the 1/2C all the others have the watermark, in fact we talk about all stamps printed sometimes in 1868.(I do not include the orange 1c,5c and 15c)

I reproduce what is wrote in THE STAMPS OF CANADA By BERTRAM W. H. POOLE (bayed 1$ from old book store):

The letters are large double lined capitals 12 H mm. high with the exception of the initial letters E, C and B upper line, which are 13 mm. high. The "watermark" is, of course, the trade-mark of the paper manufacturer and, like other watermarks of a similar nature, it is not of very great philatelic importance. It is very generally presumed that the paper watermarked in this manner was used provisionally-an opinion with which Mr. Howe seems to concur by his statement that "the watermarked paper must been used sometime during the year 1868, probably the middle, when supplies of all values except the l/2c were printed."

I agrees that the stamps become officially on first of April 1868.
Then the supply was further done by Bothwell paper.

Conclusion: With or not watermark, the stamps are common series.

Your opinion will be great-full

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To up date: the production is half and half. the variety in fact we have in the paper. horizontal and vertical ribbed. I consider those are the real varieties.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
649 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The watermark exists on the 1/2c and the 15c, too. The 1/2c is the rarest, the 15c is scarce. Although originally produced early on in the issue, stocks were kept unused due to poor quality and used throughout the period of the Large Queens when stock quantities were low.
Pillar Of The Community
6774 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a watermark on 1/2 cent...or just a mark...?
I know nothing about them.

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seem like. what it is the angle? the watermark was diagonal to the printing.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert. if your stamp artificer is watermark, you are in possession of the big things.

This mean the manufacture use the rest of the printing paper for other denominations, If real is a BIG,
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for letters my computer bog.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guys I make a studies of the first Canadian stamps till 1930. I kook of what we know today compared with that time reports. I look also of the imperforare was issued or they are just wasting papers took by some one. ( EX 5 cent king, officially only 2 or 3 cent(sorry for mix-up denomination).

Why, because for me, (personal opinion) only official stamps have place in a collection.

Any commentary Welcome
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05