Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Middletown, NJ Cancel On US #2 Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 475Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NumOnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for a little US Postal History help. I picked up a US #2 on cover. It is clear the stamp has been added to the cover later. It is not tied to the cover and based on the cancel I can see on the stamp it end abruptly at the edge of the stamp. Makes for a nice addition to my First Issue collection and I picked it up as a bargain in a trade.

Question is the Middletown, NJ cancel. Any US or NJ postal history folks out there? Is it of the US #2 era? 1847-1851? Middletown (Pointe?) Monmouth County.

Also open to any other comments about the cover that will expand my knowledge base.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Source Philamercury site - circa Jul 24, 1828

I would say that your cover did not start life with that #2 stamp
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
701 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the American Stampless Cover Catalogue, the Middletown Point/ Monmouth Co. cancel with year date omitted at the bottom was used from 1847 to 1854. If the #2 stamp was added would probably have to be determined by an expert committee such as the Philatelic Foundation. However there is no Middletown Point, NJ 1847 cover listed in the online 1847 census. So the cover would be suspect.

https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent...over-census/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The date attribution of "c1828" is incorrect, which would be a 25 cent rate cover for that distance in 1828, thus the Philamercury cover must be from after the July 1, 1845 rate changes. The American Stampless Cover Catalog has this marking listed beginning in 1846 (with year date, then without), so the correct time period for the first cover.

The lack of being tied is not necessarily a condemning factor, but a flag to look for other factors of genuine use or alterations. I would certainly hold the cover to a strong light looking for a rate marking under the stamp. The cover is not listed in the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society census.

LOL, Glenn was typing at the same time!
Edited by John Becker - 12/28/2019 08:10 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the help and the reference website.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
610 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   9:38 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It may just be the low resolution of the scan but the stamp looks off too. Any chance of a better scan?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05