Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Punch Hole In France 1931 5fr Mont St. Michel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 660Next Topic  
Valued Member

8 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Blobster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to see if anyone knows if this punch hole is a philatelic feature or just damage/vandalism. The stamp is S.G. 473a 5fr. chocolate from 1931. I think the cancel is from Haut Rhin (possibly St. Louis) but can any one tell me if France did any revenue punch cancels or something similar? Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4913 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never seen that big of a hole on French stamps . Do note that pin holes in the center of older stamps have collectiablity .I have a seperate folder of pin holes .

Think I am the only one who keeps stamps from the first stamp bourse .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Think I am the only one who keeps stamps from the first stamp bourse .

Perhaps because it is impossible to tell a 'first stamp bourse' pin hole from a hole made yesterday with a push pin?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4934 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that Scott assigns the Suffix of "FP" to catalog numbers for First Pin and "PP" for Push Pin. The FP premium is of course many multiples of the PP. Intermediate bourse pin values have proven to be problematic and controversial and so have yet to be incorporated. IB1, IB2, IB3 and so forth might be coming in the future.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
639 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Concerning the stamp.

Without a the orginal cover or paper it was on, it is impossible to tell why the punch hole is in the stamp. There is no context.

It could simply be an adminstrative clerk that was ordered told file the cover/papers. He punched a few holes in the cover and filed it.

The postmark is 1930. as I do not have a Scott I do not know what is mentioned in it, but 1930 is not 1931.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting reading on this hole and perfins: May relate to your stamp hole.
www.americanstampdealer.com/SubMenu/Watch_the_Holes.aspx, add https:// of course.
Fascinating what is done with stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4913 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
99% of stamp dealers and stamp collectors don't know what they are . They are a fun side collection of no value ,often found in older collections . I wouldn't buy one but fun to find it ,beside it decreases the value of a stamp if you make your own .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4913 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who never hear about this ,here is a historical explanation .

When people started collecting stamps in the 1870's, stamp accumulating in Britain was to run a needle and thread thru and collect on a string . At the same time in France dealers started appearing at flea markets selling stamps the main place was the Paris Bourse were stamps were pinned thru the center on display boards
Valued Member
8 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blobster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. Good catch Johan about the date. My s.g. Cat has the stamp from 1930 with broken spire and a redrawn type in 31 with it fixed. The postmark is right over the spire so difficult to tell but the clouds looked like the redrawn one. Looks like I was wrong and this is the rarer original type. I realize it is difficult/impossible to know why the stamp has a hole, but thanks for the speculation.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very simple.
The cancel is Haut Rhin which is in Alsace.
Stamps of a high denomination were punched in accordance with the revenue stamp usage at the time in Alsace.These were affixed on the "Colis postal" (Package) receipt.
Yes they are not common.
Your stamp is a Type I.

From 1927 stamps used in Alsace -Lorraine for parcel post were perforated and placed on the receipts.The stamps were perforated before being placed on the coupon.Sometimes examples can be found with the hole punched after the stamp was stuck on the coupon.The punch hole is
round in the vast majority,but can be found triangular or just a roughly punched hole.
Only dénominations of 3F and above were punched.
There are examples known of lower values being punched and stamps not punched at all.
Edited by perf12 - 12/30/2019 04:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4049 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
We don't see it much in America, but in many other countries it was routine office procedure to two-hole punch correspondence (and just about any other piece of paper) for storage in two-post binders.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/8379855011

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, so how can one prove revenue usage when not on a parcel tag or large piece?
Valued Member
8 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blobster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you perf12! There is always someone on here who has the necessary expertise. I got the stamp in a cheap mixed 'F' countries lot and this makes it a bit more special!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 660Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05