Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Due Stamps, Cancelled But Ognh

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 896Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Burnside Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some years ago I purchased a small BOB lot, mainly because it had a bunch of US Officials.

The lot also included a number of Postage Dues, including an imprint plate number strip of three J31, pen cancelled, but full original gum, never hinged.

Also included were 5 x 5 blocks of all denominations of the 1931 postage dues. These are no gum, all cancelled "Kansas City MO (129)", and appear to not be postally used either.

Thanks to a page on Riverside Stamps' website, I learned about "receipt use" of postage due stamps, although this explanation doesn't made complete sense to me. Is this explanation correct for how apparently cancelled but postally unused stamps were issued?

And the J31's. Are they considered "used", since cancelled, or mognh, because they weren't postally used and are ognh? Or something else not listed by Scott's Specialized?

Thoughts?

Thanks, Burnside

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   2:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they are used. The purpose of stamps is for post office accounting and that was what happened with your postage due stamps. Whether or not they ever got stuck to something was not really the point, the point was the $$$ accounting.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before burning the remainders; some escaped and were roller cancelled by the local post office in question for collectors.The low values of that era are not worth much.
http://www.jaysmith.com/Specials/Un...ge-Dues.html
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, these are not remainders.

Don is fully correct. There are quite a few threads on this site which show large multiples (sheets!) which were roller-canceled as payment receipts for postage due for business reply mail accounts and such. Many of the canceled sheets were not stuck to anything, thus have cancels and yet full gum.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one cent strip of 3 could also be J38. Only if it's unwatermarked is it J31 and it can't J29 since all of them were printed using plate number 57.

Quote:
Yes, they are used. The purpose of stamps is for post office accounting and that was what happened with your postage due stamps. Whether or not they ever got stuck to something was not really the point, the point was the $$$ accounting.

Correct. Postage due stamps were utility stamps for accounting purposes only and they had (and have) no franking power. Although some have been used as postage usually when a post office ran out of postage stamps.

Quote:
Before burning the remainders; some escaped and were roller cancelled by the local post office in question for collectors.The low values of that era are not worth much.

What the postage due clerk use to do is add up the weekly postage due of a company (usually by adding up the number of return envelopes and multiplying by the current first class rate), cancel the correct value of postage due stamps, and then stapled or stuck them to a postage due bill. The company would get the bill with the attached stamps and pay it. This was done for companies that sent out return envelopes marked 'addressee will pay return postage.'

Let's take Boys Town for example. They would send thousands of requests for donations. When the envelopes were returned the postage due clerk would do as I described above. I have entire sheets of $5 (J78) postage due cancelled like this still with gum.

Sheet of J78 plate 20159

When I was a teenager the next town over had co-op and they had about $100 or so of postage due every week. I got to know the postage due clerk and watched him do this. He always saved me the plate blocks (uncancelled of course). This went on until August 1986 when postage due stamps were withdrawn.

Sheet of J75 plate 20225 on a postage due form

Edited by postagedueguy - 12/29/2019 6:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Burnside Bob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
postagedueguy Posted - Yesterday : 5:33 pm
The one cent strip of 3 could also be J38. Only if it's unwatermarked is it J31 and it can't J29 since all of them were printed using plate number 57.

No watermark. Thanks for sharing, and you must have picked that sheet of $5 for the Kansas City, MO cancel. Your cancel has the number 122 in parentheses, while my sheets are all 129. Any significance to that number?

Burnside
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No watermark. Thanks for sharing, and you must have picked that sheet of $5 for the Kansas City, MO cancel. Your cancel has the number 122 in parentheses, while my sheets are all 129. Any significance to that number?

No problem. My guess is that it is the number assigned to each roller cancel to distinguish them from each other.
Edited by postagedueguy - 12/30/2019 8:06 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05