Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking To Buy My 1st Penny Black, Please Advise

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampboylife to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this listed for $115, will you buy it? Assuming you don't have it, and wanted to own one. Please advise.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming no thins (I don't see any), this is not an unreasonable price for this. Nice cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6670 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect Great Britain but that is a nice looking stamp with a nice cancel

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
508 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if sound
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5785 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what your collecting habits are but quite a few of us have been bitten by the initials bug. I collect GB stamps that have my initials in the lower corner check letters, fun thing to do.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4637 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   2:30 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$115 is roughly the going rate for a four-margin, fault-free copy (depending on the plate). This current auction catalogue has a bunch of them for comparison -

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/a...ns/catalogue
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't gotten there yet but someday I will own one. ... And the Reds too.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a three margin example in kiloware once... Nothing since though! :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For your reflection.
I have resisted buying a Penny Black for 20 years, I find spending that sort of money on a collection, as it offers me more mileage of interest in stamp collecting.
That's not to say to by pass your passion, a Penny Black should hold its value for as long as you own it, just offered as a consideration.

If you purchase, let us know, and I'll see if I can identify the Maltese Cross.
(Nice stamp)

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4637 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is the key stamp in worldwide stamp collecting, though, and the only one of historical importance (I suppose you could add the 1840 2d blue). I bought one in the Stamp Arcade in the Strand in the '60s with my prize - a few bob - from a quiz at the Grammar School stamp club. It even has a couple of margins.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1313 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I were in the market for a penny black I'd be paying $115 for that without any hesitation, assuming it's fault free of course. It's a visually appealing example!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have one Geoff,
A member of SCF donated it, (had my initials)
Just very slightly damaged.
I had the temerity to hinge Her Maj.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. If I "needed" one and the price was within my budget, I'd consider that example. It's got eye appeal.

If you're buying it based on the image and haven't seen it in person, I'd make sure the seller accepts returns, just in case.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, a little patience will pick you up an example with 4 clear margins at the price (this one is on the close side at left for my taste), or a similar quality at a bit lower price. But if you want to scratch the itch now, this one isn't a terrible deal.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the inputs. Very helpful. I am going to be more patient, but be on the lookout for ones with my initials and better margins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05