Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sorting And Organizing A "New" Lot Of Stamps - A Few I Am Having Trouble With

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,195Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I acquired a little over 1000 WW stamps and am adding them to my stock pages, organizing reading up - enjoying.

I have been really pleased with the variety and excited to add new stamps to my budding collection. There are a few I am not 100% sure on. Hoping you can help. I will also add to this thread some of my new pages :) - I like to share.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/03/2020 11:58 am

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help with the first two, but the third is an early Russian stamp and the fourth is from Hungary. I've been sorting some eastern Europe and issues like these are still fresh in my mind.

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France
1245 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First one : Hyderabad (former Indian State)
Second one : revenue stamp from Syria
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4614 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hungarian is a newspaper stamp; one of three different from 1874-99, depending on the watermark. The cancel is CSORNA from the far northwest of the country.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I should have gotten that Russian one - the rest, wow - you guys are quick. I appreciate it - this will help me with knowing where to place them in my book.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.mintageworld.com/media/...rabad-state/

Cool information on the Hyderabad. I learn something everyday through stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few I have sorted. The largest collection is from Ecuador- I have yet to tackle that (will be fun and interesting). and quite a bit from Germany. of course a lot from Hungary - though there are a lot of very old stamps, so those should be interesting to learn about.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Deutschosterreich" stamp, bottom left second vario page is a newspaper stamp from Austria
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh Willwood - on the Austria Newspaper stamp - I had no idea on that one - now I need to move it. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So is last stamp in the row right above it. 40 heller.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Danko.
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In attempting to put the set of Swedish stamps showing King Gustaf V in order of increasing face value, someone mistakenly put the highest valued one first, probably thinking it's a one ore stamp, when in fact it's a one krona. The lowest face value stamp in that set is the 5 ore green. Incidentally, it's worth checking the 5 ore green for a watermark. If it has a crown watermark it catalogues for $29, without it, only 30 cents. And if you had the 55 ore pale blue or the 80 ore black from that set you'd have some real bucks!
Edited by waddsbadds - 01/03/2020 8:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you waddsbadds, nice catch. I really like those stamps - I only had 1 and with this new lot I acquired I got several more. I will check for the watermark - ugh, those darn watermarks that I can't ever seem to see :)

You guys are all so wonderful and helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I dug into the Ecuador stamps - phew, I ran out of steam around 1950something...

Some really nice stamps and history so far. I see a lot of overprints to learn about as well.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this real? If so I assume it's damaged and probably worthless. Not that I care about value, I'm excited to collect and learn :) the cheap lot I bought had it plus a weird Gibraltar stamp which I assume is some printed cut out. No matter fake, real, worthless whatever, I'm loving this.

Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Great Britain stamp is the popular penny red of 1864, Scott #33 (or Stanley Gibbons 43) A lot of people collect the different plate numbers, which included most of the numbers from 71 to 225 (75, 126 and 128 were not used, and 77 is exceedingly rare, less than ten copies known to exist) Yours appears to be plate 172, one of the more common ones, but a fun stamp to collect nonetheless. Yours also might appeal to someone who collects their initials in the corners, so if your initials are either BE or EB, you might like it, also, collectors interested in postmarks, yours appears to have been postmarked in Newport, which might be either on the Isle of Wight or in the County of Gwent (formerly Monmouthshire) in South Wales. The Gibraltar one is not a true stamp but appears to be a cutout from either a wrapper or a postal card, both issued in the late 1870's, and would interest collectors of postal stationery. You seem to have a nice start to a collection, and lots of enthusiasm, keep up the good work, you'll never regret getting into this hobby.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,195Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05