Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Forgery Of A China Large Dragon 1 Candarin 1878/1882?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 676Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
1080 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add filipo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have found this stamp in an pretty common album (although an old one), and really didn't expect to find this kind of stamp in it... so, I supposed that it is a forgery... however, I have compared to examples found on web, and, if it is a forgery, looks like a pretty good one... didn't find any major faults... stamp is on a thin paper, doesn't have a gum.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

On 1st and 2nd scan are original colours, and the 3rd is enchanced in a photo editor, so that details could be visible easier.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2660 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the photo it has all the characteristics of the genuine.All the spots are were they should be.The slight slant in the bottom of the right 1.The two dots joined after CANDARIN :..Also the very slight upward slant in CHINA above.All the lettering conform.
The only thing that bothers me is the relative thinness of the "C" in CHINA,but that may be simply one of the cliché types.
Only one design was made and then reproduced for all the different clichés.
There were several printings.Several settings,(distance between the stamps).
With specialized literature the stamp can be plated.There are tiny différences in the stamps
in the same sheet,a break here,a spot joined with another ect.
So the design is 99.8% identical.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 01/03/2020 2:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1080 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinion and expertize, perf1!

I have found online a very similar example to this one, also with a thin lettering of C...

https://www.catawiki.com/l/25411013...-michel-n-1i
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2660 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it looks like it. I think it is position 3 in the sheet of 25.
below Spink example. Wide setting 3; 1882.
There is a break in the vertical line in the lower left square, also found in pos.3. Also position 3 has what looks like a thinner "C". That being said , it may differ in sheets of other settings.The break may also be closed.

As the settings changed the clichés were re-arranged in the sheet:
Interasia:Upper sheet (setting 7).1883-85. Notice how the stamps are closer together.The stamps with a break are now in pos. 9 & 10.

Edited by perf12 - 01/03/2020 4:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1080 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, perf12, for all your time and knowledge spent on this!

Btw. I have noticed that on all other examples, the very last (just upper to the number 1 on the left side) Chinese character in the left row have an extended right-bottom ending of the line (almost touches the inner margin), and on my stamp, and also on the another example which I have found - it is pretty much shortened... looks like a significant difference from the approved examples.
Valued Member
330 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TangStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The large dragon 1 Cand looks genuine to me. Does it have the gum?
Pillar Of The Community
1080 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello TangStamps, thank you for your reply - unfortunately, I didn't notice it before. However, I have describe the stamp in my initial post in this topic... and I have specified that it doesn't have a gum.
Edited by filipo - 05/24/2020 8:18 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 676Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05