Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reducing Mount Costs

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4642 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or what doesn't give, of course ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2655 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have pages using the Elmer's on mounts on Steiner pages at the 6 month point. I did the storing in the attic test once and will do it again this spring. Like Rod222, I also use Steiner so not risk much in the name of an experiment.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/08/2020 6:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1959 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My method of saving on mounts is to use Vario pages instead. I do have a few dozen binders of Steiner pages where I will continue to use mounts and hinges, but for any area I don't already have pages printed, I just use Vario pages either as a supplement to existing Steiner pages or, in some cases, starting a new area from scratch. Not only is the cost of mounts avoided, but it's much faster to put stamps in their place as well.
Valued Member
169 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started buying clear mounts for my better stamps last year. A dealer sold me one set of five different sizes. You can also find cheaper mounts from stamp shows or auctions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
988 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your frugal mounts are all well and good but you miss out on the joy of spending your kid’s inheritance on over-priced, yet worthless when used, mounts.

The price of mounts sky rocketed supposedly because of the high price of oil but when the price of oil plummeted their price remained the same. Say what you will but you’ve go to love those greedy Bleep-Bleeps !!!

Can anyone direct me to the local "Mountaholics Anonymous" ???
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28451 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Mounts using double sided archival tape
Review
Elapsed time circa 2 years?

Page for trial.

The Mount peeled off reasonably easily, slowly, but could be reused.
(Not stored as some gum remains on back of mount)
Page not damaged at all, tape remains on page. (Tacky but not sticky) debatable whether it would adhere another clean mount.

Back of mount.

Overall, rather pleased thus far.
(These were early usage, 7mm pieces of double sided tape, now using 3mm)

Edited by rod222 - 01/13/2020 10:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
701 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"What is one to do? Hinges are decried."

They're not decried by me. I use hinges all the time. They're very safe. Collections mounted with hinges from 50, 60, 70 years ago are in fine shape. If the hinges were the old kind with the easily releasable adhesive (Dennison, etc brand), they remove from album pages effortlessly and do not damage stamps nearly ever. Thank goodness those collectors made a good choice in how to mount their stamps. Of course, that was entirely accidental, since what they actually did was to go by their local stamp store and buy some cheap hinges at 25c a pack. What's fortunate, really, is that even cheap hinges back then were safe to use and "archival" enough to last for at least a few generations without damaging stamps like the earliest stamp mounting systems damaged stamps.

Those earlier methods of mounting stamps included actually gluing stamps to the album page, using selvage from stamp sheets to mount them in albums, or using folded pieces of paper with glue attached to them as hinges. All were awful methods. Modern stamp hinges became widely used only sometime in the 1940s or 1950s (?), I believe. The earlier mounting systems were disastrously bad for stamps. So, yes, we have some obligation to be careful in mounting stamps.

Not having your stamps damaged after two, three, or even ten years is hardly much of a test. That's like saying you've been smoking for the last year or two and don't have any signs of cancer so smoking must be safe! Testing what's safe around stamps takes decades, not six months or a year or two.Science can't be speeded up like that. If you must test quickly, as least put your stamps in a warm (not hot!) oven for enough hours to see if the glue you're using melts!

But I wouldn't even trust that test since time is what matters as chemical change and migrate and do their damage. Take album pages. Most albums, even cheap ones, don't age much in the first few years. But have you looked at 50, 70, or 100 year old album pages? Most are so brown with age from the acids used in the paper that they are unusable. And some of that acid went into the stamps. I've flipped through a few old albums where the pages literally cracked in my hands. What condition must those stamps be in?

Double-sided tape or other current methods designed more for mounting photographs or other scrapbook items may -- or may not --damage stamps, but my money is on damaging them. It takes years for the glue and acids and other chemicals to slowly work into the item mounted and do its damage. Take Crystal Mounts.

Crystal Mounts back in the 1950s did their damage not because of the mount itself which was clear plastic, but the glue. It went everywhere, partly because the mounts were designed to be folded to suit the stamps you put into them, unlike modern mounts which are sized to match the stamps. By folding a Crystal Mount and then licking the glue strip on the back, you were spreading wet glue on the back of an awkwardly folded mount onto the album page (so the page was ruined, of course) so some of that glue might leak onto the stamp, as well. The glue on old Crystal Mounts is now brown with age, having ruined album pages and stamps galore. That was the work of 40, 50, 60 years of H.E. Harris Crystal Mounts which we were assured were safe for stamps. No they weren't.

Double-sided tape can be used to remount old stamp mounts onto album pages since the tape won't be anywhere near the stamps. But it may ruin the album pages. And I hope no one thinks they can put double sided tape directly on the back of stamps to mount them onto album pages. That's going to do some damage, I bet.

Of course if you have a small general inexpensive collection, do what you want. So many collections probably get thrown in the dumpster every year by relatives who don't want to deal with them (since they're not worth much), that the way the stamps were mounted never really mattered. Discussions of how to mount stamps in albums are really directed at collectors with more valuable stamps. And that's not most collectors, I imagine.

Which brings me back to stamp hinges. They've been proven safe, at least the classic hinges of the past like Dennison and Fold-O. So I use them. Lightly moistened they still hold well, and they release from the stamp and album page without doing damage to either. Nothing wrong with using mounts, of course, since they only damage the album page and not the stamp. But mounts are a lot more expensive than hinges. As for other types of glue, let me know in 50 years whether they damaged your stamps, your albums, or both. I'd be interested in finding out -- if I were still alive. Which I don't plan to be.
Edited by DrewM - 01/15/2020 12:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2655 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once a stamp is hinged, it can never be called never hinged can it? I guess it does not matter to most that collect used. Is that safe or are there more conditions to the term to be safe?

Some will say protective pages, archival tape, and acid free paper are generally safe with certain conditions.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1286 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Drew, for saying stuff that makes a lot of sense for me. This coming April will be my 60th anniversary of beginning to collect stamps (at age 10). Unlike many others, I never stopped for college or career, although I could go for months without doing anything other than reading my literature as it arrived.

I have never used tape or glue to mount stamps, or to attach stamps in mounts to a page. Once in a great while, I might use a little tape to reinforce the holes on one of the heavy stock end sheets in my albums. Now, I just replace the sheet as I have a supply.

When I was actively buying world wide collections, I found stamps, as you did, attached with selvage, paper hinges of some sort; and even stamps attached with adhesive dots of the kind found in stationary stores. I had pages where the prior owner had taped a blank sheet or half-sheet, over a printed page. Naturally, the adhesive traveled. I also had collections where even Dennison-hinged stamps were hard to remove because, sadly, the prior owner was a "slobber king"

Going forward, I now have around 14 packs of the old Dennison and Fold-Os for mounting stamps. I'll also be carefully remounting around a thousand stamps, mounted with Prinz hinges, with Dennison/Fold-Os. I use mounts only for stamps cataloging $50 or more; and for all souvenir sheets and multiples. Yes, mounts can be pricy. But, for me, it's a matter of not being cheap and cutting corners when damage could occur as a result.

How collections are stored makes a difference. It was obvious to me that some of the material I bought had been stored in a basement, or attic, in a humid climate. Not good! Even in the arid or semi-arid country here in the Western US, one has to be cautious about storage. And if one lives in Phoenix, where it almost never freezes, high heat and bugs can be issues.

"many collections probably get thrown in the dumpster every year by relatives......" And not just by relatives. I tossed literally hundreds of pages of cheap stamps into my paper recycling stacks because the pages were damaged. Yes, someone might say I could have donated that material for kids. But, I didn't want to introduce kids to our hobby by giving them damaged junk.

Al wrote: "once a stamp is hinged, it can never be called never hinged can it?" There is a prominent mail order auction dealer here in the US, that I've bought material from, who occasionally describes a stamp as "almost NH." I haven't, and won't, ask about that, nor will I bid on such stamps.
Edited by Climber Steve - 01/15/2020 11:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4642 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   1:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, storage. An auction purchase of a box of cigarette cards arrived today. That sinking feeling when you rapidly realise that they've been in a loft or a shed, benefiting from our characteristic combination of cold and damp. Not irreparable for cards, but the quick check and turnaround I'd envisaged is now replaced by a cleaning operation. Had they been stamps, browning and foxing would have been likely.
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I worked with hinges for a bit when mounting my used gb collection. Alas each time I came back from a show and wanted to replace a stamp with one that looked better I was peeling off yet another hinge and using a second to remount. I finally gave in and bought a few packs of the 'second quality' black mounts. Haven't found anything wrong with the ones I received and my recounting goes much faster during upgrades.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28451 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's it Brent, follow your own course.
Discount the hot air trying to prove one is better than the next.
No one can prove mounts are any more damaging than I can prove they are not.
I use mounts exactly as you, for the ease of use.
A stamp in a mount can remain mint, whilst a hinged mint, is the always hinged.
But some pedant later on may trash those because they were lightly hinged.
All hot air.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05