Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin One Cent, Plain Jane Or One Of A Few?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

7 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wi6673r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Am I on to anything with this being a rotary issue but are perforations right and what size does the stamp need to be and where would I measure from? Come on scott 596
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   8:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
The best perspective is to assume that you have one of the billions produced and not assume that you have found one of a handful of stamps known. Assuming that you have a #596 is like picking up a rock in your backyard and assuming that you found a diamond. Stamp collecting is a rewarding hobby but not in a monetary way.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yea I try to be that way. This one keeps talking to me though. I would send it off to be looked at but do t trust mail. What are my options?

Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The best option is to walk through the identifications steps. You have done enough discovery to know that this stamp has some varieties which are very rare. http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/192...ntifier.html
Next step is to determine the perforations. If you do not have a perforation gauge you can download a free one here http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...fGauge.html.

Your stamp has unique perforation count which limits it to being only one catalog number, no need to measure the design or check for watermarks.
Don
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Will print out perforation guage.
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gaboon viper 196 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi my first post, as I am beginning to see the challenge and frustration with inheriting a stamp collection and dealing with the quest it has taken me on.My eyesight has faded and my hair has become whiter as I try to determine if so many stamps that appear to be valuable on many sights
but under a dollar on others.While not knowing the science involved to determine it's worth as a collector or seller I'm as lost as you can get.How do I post some samples.

Help...Gaboon viper
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as catalogue number or watermark how does one find those? Is just one catalogue good?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3909 Posts
Posted 01/03/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps pictured are penny stamps in monetary value. Here is an example of a worldwide set of catalogs. Can be found at the library. There is also an online catalog source sometimes mentioned. Fun hobby. Monetary windfalls not so much.

http://ihobb.com/p/SCOTT_STAMP_CATA.../C20SET.html
Edited by redwoodrandy - 01/03/2020 11:02 pm
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to find out if my franklin is one of a few worth alot more or not. I cant get any real answers anywhere.
Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Information was supplied, what you need to ID the stamp in under 2 minutes is above. But if you still feel that you have a rarity you can send it in for a certification here http://www.philatelicfoundation.org/
Don
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and I thank you. More directed at people brushing it off.
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wi6673r to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before I send it off, what can I do to make it worth sending off, I feel as it is rotary, still need to check perforations. What else could I do to get closer?
Pillar Of The Community
2529 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wi6673r, You answered your own question. YES, you need to check the perforations. When you do, I think you will find the top/bottom gauge at 11, and the sides gauge at 10.5. That is a rotary printing, Scott 632. Plain Jane.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05