Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Get To Know Mouse/Rat

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2891 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another mouse in one of the beautiful paintings of Nature of America. This one is the singing vole (Microtus miurus) which lives in rocky areas and feeds on a variety of plants. The voles have a high-pitched trill to warn others of danger. Arctic Tundra, 2003
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Kris Rascher - 01/23/2020 02:10 am
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whales are important for biological diversity. But so are mice
(Bulgaria 2010)

Whale and mouse, simple but interesting design. What is the red part , is it an animal too?

Year of the Rat 1996
Edited by idebee - 01/22/2020 12:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1396 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The red part on the Bulgarian sheet is a bird. You can see its black beak as well.
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, 22crows, thanks a lot! Very creative design, 3 animals#65292;it's a bit like a tangram then!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2891 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pacific rat (Rattus exidans) was featured on the sheet issued by Tokelau for the year of the rat in 1996. It inhabits many of the Pacific islands and was most likely introduced by Polynesian explorers. The dandelion may have reached Pacific islands all by itself - we know how well the little parachutes can be carried by the wind.

(The red bird could be the European robin.)
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
586 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, Kris! I think it is american pika. This is a order of hares
Edited by Alexey - 01/23/2020 01:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2891 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alexey, Thanks for telling me about my mixed pictures - two tundras in the series. Now I hope corrected. K.
Pillar Of The Community
France
986 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
O Pequeno Polegar (Tom Thumb) riding a rat on this brazilian stamp

Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another mouse in one of the beautiful paintings of Nature of America. This one is the singing vole (Microtus miurus) which lives in rocky areas and feeds on a variety of plants. The voles have a high-pitched trill to warn others of danger. Arctic Tundra, 2003

Interesting name, I am really eager to hear what songs they are singing. :-) And vole reminds me of another kind of mouse in an old game I played before. Hamster and vole are basically the same thing in Chinese.

Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Year of the Rat
Lunar New Year stamp to arrive Jan. 11
Jan. 8 at 9:51 a.m.

The Year of the Rat stamp features a mask similar to those used in the dragon dance, a hallmark of Lunar New Year parades.
The Postal Service will release its Year of the Rat stamp, the first entry in a new Lunar New Year series, on Saturday, Jan. 11.

Lunar New Year, an important holiday for many Asian communities, is celebrated primarily by people of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tibetan, Mongolian, Malaysian and Filipino heritage.

The rat is the first of the 12 zodiac animal signs associated with the Chinese lunar calendar. The Year of the Rat begins Jan. 25, and ends Feb. 11, 2021.

The stamp features a rat mask that calls to mind the elaborately decorated masks used in the dragon dance, a feature of Lunar New Year parades. The image offers a contemporary take on the long tradition of the paper-cut folk art crafts that are another Lunar New Year hallmark.

Antonio Alcalá, a USPS art director, designed the stamp with original artwork by Camille Chew.

The Postal Service's two previous Lunar New Year stamp series ran from 1992-2004 and 2008-2019.

The Year of the Rat stamp will be available in panes of 12 at Post Offices and usps.com.

Dragon dance mask? Paper-cut folk art crafts? Avatar perhaps? :-)
Edited by idebee - 01/24/2020 12:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2891 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mice must always be watchful of other creatures wanting them for supper. Barn owls (Tyto alba) depend upon finding plenty of mice, especially for their young. They hunt mostly at night and can hear mice wherever they are. 2017
Pillar Of The Community
France
986 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A similar scene on this stamp from Bulgaria

But let's go back to happy mice.
"Musevisa" (the mouse song) on this official stationery card from norwegian Post.
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is unexpected to see Tom Thumb riding a rat. I once tried to gather together a topic on riding animals. Riding a rat is so amusing and reminds me of trying my best to catch a pet in Zelda. :-)

I have just come to realize that in the World Trigger, Yotaro's riding pet turns out to be a capybara, which appeared on previous page.
Edited by idebee - 01/24/2020 2:11 pm
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Rat & Owl! Don't they just fall in love in the previous page? :-)
Museviza, it looks like another mouse paradise as in the Japanese folktale!

Long-eared jerboa, 1983. Endangered!

Pygmy jerboa, 1985. Endangered!
Edited by idebee - 01/24/2020 2:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2891 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another stamp that shows how dangerous it can be to live in an area in which there is a whole family of barn owls. 2001
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05