Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Get To Know Mouse/Rat

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 318 / Views: 16,806Next Topic
Page: of 22
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Hi, bookbndrbob, thanks! The colors and patterns are really jubilant and hilarious#65292;but I really can't understand what it means by lifting a big Tomato? :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by idebee - 01/05/2020 10:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1737 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the rat is holding aloft an orange, which I understand is a symbol of good luck in the Chinese New Year tradition.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little house mouse, Mus musculus, probably housing under a tiled roof in Iceland. 2005

(Great fun to read about all these stories and legends from different parts of the world. K.)
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, 22crows, you are right, it's orange and is a symbol of good luck. I don't know it , because it is mainly in southern China. In Cantonese orange and luck have the same pronunciation and are often used as a pun. Great to know that, the stamp looks more hilarious now! And I am sure I will have new feelings when I eat orange next time! :-) And it's also interesting to remember that I learned some Chinese tradition from an Australian friend as well as from collecting stamps!
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Hi, Kris, it's really unexpected for me that a house mouse is on stamp. When I started this topic, I told myself that there is no way a real mouse is ever put onto a stamp, and perhaps only if they are being chased by a cat or something like that and in some abstract form. And I suppose only with a real mouse stamp, the collection on the mouse topic can be called complete.

House mouse by Qi Baishi, who has a famous saying : Art is between likeness and unlikeness! Are they alike? :-)
Edited by idebee - 01/06/2020 10:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7234 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Singapore's January 18, 2008 Chinese New Year "Year of the Rat" set (S.G. #s 750-3) includes a self-adhesive "local rate" (26c) stamp.

The 65c stamp shows the lucky orange.

Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Hi, bookbndrbob, thanks a lot! You know what, orange is really a good omen for me yesterday. I went to a local post-office to get the color digital postmark I posted in the previous page. But the clerk was a little bureaucratic or perhaps in a bad mood, and wouldn't run the machine for just one postcard. But I met a girl from southern China in the hall and we had a joyful talk about their lucky orange traditions. The girl bought several dozens of FDC of that digital postmark, so the clerk kindda can not refuse to run the machine for her. And the girl generously allowed me to add my one postcard to her many FDCs to print the cancel. So I got the mouse+sun postmark at last and everybody was happy! The orange is really a good omen, isn't it! And I have to thank you too, if it weren't for your reply, most probably I will not get that postmark.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The little Wood Mouse (Apodemus sylvaticus) lives in grassy meadows and on the forest floor, even in Iceland where there aren't many woodlands. Second stamp in the set of 2005. Glad you like them Idebee!
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The little Wood Mouse (Apodemus sylvaticus) lives in grassy meadows and on the forest floor, even in Iceland where there aren't many woodlands.

These guys are really adaptive. I am wondering how they live in the winter, as well as those Aland ones. It looks like that they make nests with straws in the summer.

Another mouse painting by Qi Baishi left . He is also writing a poem on the painting, teasing that he is too poor to share his little lamp oil with the mouse. :-)

(His style was not accepted by the mainstream artists for a long time. What he likes to draw is daily life things, such as shrimps, cabbages#65292;crickets, even locusts and mice, which are regarded by many elite artists as low, so he could barely made a living by selling his works that few people would like to buy, and lived on the edge of poverty at that time. )

Edited by idebee - 01/07/2020 05:11 am
Learn More...
United States
10540 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   04:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A video I made a while back with lots of Mickey stamps
jwti8XFWeKY

Don
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/07/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, 51studebaker, thanks! But I cannot see the vid, looks like youtube has some problem with my region. :-(
Actually#65292;I was just about to talk about Mickey Mouse. I find many similarities between Qi Baishi and Walter Disney. Both of them used to live in poverty and were often visited by mouse "friends". But they did not detest them, and on the contrary, they began to draw them, and even got inspired by them. And later Disney created Mickey, while Qi became the Mouse Painter . I suppose their mice somewhat represent the way they looked at the world and life, or in another words, represent themselves, so it's very interesting and thought provoking to compare their mice and find out their similarities and differences.

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A house mouse (Mus musculus d.) out and about on the Faroe islands. Artwork by Edward Fuglo, 2013. The large plant could be the Angelica sp. In cold winters mice can survive in their underground tunnels and chambers in a nest of grass and moss, where they hoard seeds and herbs; they don't really hibernate but they slow down their metabolism till it's warm again.
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, when I see your real mouse stamps, my first thought is cute and lovely. Is this a right and proper reaction? :-) They should make these little guys a little more dirty, sneaky and disgusting, shouldn't they?

"Animation is different from other parts. Its language is the language of caricature. Our most difficult job was to develop the cartoon's unnatural but seemingly natural anatomy for humans and animals." - Walt Disney
Edited by idebee - 01/08/2020 09:58 am
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have any rat or mouse stamps yet. I just pre-ordered the two year of the rat covers 1/11/2020. Since I'm a rat I had to have them.

Just thought they were appealing.
Cheryl
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, wannahocalugie, thanks for the info! Any background info for this rat?

"It was all started by a mouse!" - Walt Disney
Edited by idebee - 01/08/2020 10:10 am
Page: of 22 Previous TopicReplies: 318 / Views: 16,806Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05