Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Get To Know Mouse/Rat

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, Kris, it's amazing that there are even pouched rats, and they look so tiny, can't imagine they have pouch. Rats have really so many different kinds, don't they!

Wow#65292;It is really unexpected to see these frightening tusks, my first impression of them is basically like this. You are my eye-opener, Kris, thank you very much!

Just look like your many cute little petable mice, don't they! Maybe we should change Eyore's saying to: Hyrax are tigers if you get to know them! :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by idebee - 01/17/2020 07:59 am
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is the second bad mouse on stamps, even depicting them stealing food! I am wondering what the stamp is trying to tell. The Vikings have any traditions to live with them or fight with them? It looks like that the food is placed out there just for them.
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, Vayolene, I received the card of Moomin & Emma at last#65281;Thank you very much for posting the stamp, and it's amazing how small this world is. Another girl was posting this Moomin card at the other side of the world at the same time you posted the Moomin stamp , and I happened to see both of them, and finally she mailed the card to me. I feel so lucky, I got Emma, the theater rat, and get to know Moomin, a nice cartoon, and you know what, I even got a giant panda postmark of Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, which is my most wanted postmark. It's really a BIG surprise when I got Moomin and Panda together!!

Moomin & Panda are together! What a handsome card!
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting story, which I never heard of it before but looks like it's very well known in western cultures!

Quote:

That's because the legend is about trickery, broken promises, rage and temptation. The story of The Rat and The Octopus is a sad one, in which nobody wins, both are guilty and yet there's no justice. The Rat makes deals it never intends to keep. But the octopus is culpable, too, first in being so mercenary and second in dwelling in anger, only to be continually fooled by the feke.

https://www.aggroculture.org/the-ra...at-the-macc/

https://mauitime.com/entertainment/...fer-gallery/

Edited by idebee - 01/17/2020 10:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2883 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are quite a few legends and fables in which a mouse or a rat is involved. The one in which a clever cat in boots tricks animals to get caught in his bag and even tricks a bad monster to turn into a rat which he then kills, is very well known. The original is probably Italian, dating back to the 16th century but there are many variations. The French Perrault version dates from the 17th century. stamp of 1978

(Idebee, Glad you like the Hopping Mouse, but as I wrote, it is indeed not a marsupial, which means it does not have a pouch. K.)
Pillar Of The Community
France
983 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Le Chat Botté" (Puss-in-Boots) on this stamp from San Marino

But a mouse can be friend with a dog too (from East German TV)
Edited by vayolene - 01/18/2020 02:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2883 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puss in Boots was also featured in a set of DDR stamps in 1985.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2883 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even in Paraguay Puss in Boots is a well-known character! two in a set of stamps telling his story, 1982. Note UN logo for the year of children, 1979.
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Kris, Vayolene, Puss in Boots is really interesting, I can't help laughing when I listen to it - an audio story book for kids . :-) Is there a thread specially for these fable stories#65292; folk tales , even idiom stories; I think maybe we could start a topic on it: Tell Stories with Stamps? It must be fun and educational! China has many similar short but interesting stories on stamps too!

This one looks like husband & wife! :-)
Edited by idebee - 01/18/2020 07:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
983 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another famous legend involving rats : the piper of Hamelin.
Here on a german private post stamp
Edited by vayolene - 01/18/2020 07:47 am
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's interesting that the mouse has a bow knot on the tail. :-) He is a boy , isn't he? For he is presenting a flower . And his ears are so big, even bigger than Mickey Mouse, wow!

Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These two stories are quite alike in the first part, but it's interesting that the result are quite different!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1396 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'll find that Pieps the mouse is a female.
Valued Member
403 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you'll find that Pieps the mouse is a female.

I see, thanks a lot, 22crows!

Mouse and pun. In Chinese, Mouse is pronounced Shu#65292;and can be used as a pun with some other Chinese character with the same pronunciation for good omens. In this stamp, there is an ancient coin represents money. And In Chinese count is also pronounced Shu, so the design of mouse forms a good pun implying to count money, wish you a fortune.

Edited by idebee - 01/18/2020 11:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2883 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Piper of Hameln, followed by the children he lured from town, was featured on a stamp of 1978. I found the scan of an old postcard on the web showing the Piper leading the rats out of town. And a pretty picture of a rat all dressed up for the town rat festivities, the prettiest rat wins the prize.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05