Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Read Japanese On This 1939 Cover With Letter?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 454Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Battlestamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I've come across this Japanese cover. I'm guessing the date is Showa 14 which makes it 1939. The postmark isn't clear enough to make out the town. Can anyone tell this cover's origin and destination? I've included the letter if there's any hints in there. Also what is the purpose of the purple box handstamp on front? I'm guessing the little red oval handstamp is a mark from the sender, but correct me if I'm wrong please.
Thanks, Will

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: Facebook friends were able to provide some more information that I'll share here.

"It is from Yongsan, Korea to Ashiya in Hyogo Prefecture. The purple stamp is a "censored" mark; the red seal below is the censoring officer's name, Tanoi."

"The writer writes in a very formal manner to profusely thank the addressee, who has sent a package of care items from Japan. He dwells in particular on the fact that a fan (uchiwa) was the first thing that appeared on opening the package, joking that he is sharing the cool breeze with his mates along with the joy of receiving such fine gifts. He goes on to say that he is well, currently in officers' training while most of the others who arrived with him have already deployed to Shanxi in China, and that he looks forward eagerly to the day he can also join the fighting at the front."

That sure helps make this cover a much more interesting item from a historical point. I had to see how long Japan was in control of Korea's postal service. Japan's sphere of influence started in the 19th Century, but Japan fully took over the system in 1905 through the end of World War II.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work! Battlestamps.
Germany
3 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ligneN to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Cover is addressed to Hyogo prefecture,Japan.

As the sender was a member of a military installation, his mails were due to military censorship (Japan was at war with China since 1937).

There was no civilian censorship before October, 1941.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05