Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marca Di 50 Centesimo Riscontro

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 745Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add marapaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi members,

I found this stamp is the only one I have. I search online for some information I have been unsuccessful, please help to identify the stamp and any other input. Thank you Mara.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a revenue stamp from Italy. Forbin lists a 50c blue from 1866 under an image with a similar frame but different vignette.

eta: I found a listing of the 1866 series and this isn't one of them. It could also be a municipal (local) revenue from any number of municipalities in Italy.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Cjd - 01/04/2020 9:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Italian Revenue Stamp.
Unable to translate Marca di riscontro del valore.
I have a similar class of 1866
As yet, unable to find yours in my Catalogue

From the Internet
Author : Margo Z

"marca di riscontro" (receipt stamp) is an Italian municipal fiscal stamp.

I had a good trawl about but can't find any indication of which city/commune this particular stamp is from.

By 1915 there were already an estimated 7000 to 8000 different local fiscal stamps in Italy. Apparently the major reference work is:

Italian Municipal Revenue Stamps, Volume 1, Cities A-K, Fiscal Philatelic Foundation, New York, 1999.
Italian Municipal Revenue Stamps, Volume 2 , Cities L-Z, Fiscal Philatelic Foundation, New York, 1999

An extract from a great article in mid-citiesstampclub.webs.com 's online journal:

There are over 8,000 villages, towns and cities in Italy and in the last hundred and fifty years, almost all of them have issued municipal revenue stamps. These were used to pay fees required to obtain birth or death certificates, marriage licenses, identity cards, medical certificates, and certificates of residence, as well as payment of court fees, commercial fees, and various other charges imposed by the admin of Italy.

The stamp designs are mostly very simple. The name of the issuing municipality is usually (but not always) printed on the stamp as well as an indication of value, in centesimi or lire.

Most Italian municipals were crudely printed on poor quality, non-watermarked paper. Often colored paper or ink was used and a few stamps were printed in two colors. Most were printed as small sheets or booklets and some of the more recent issues are on self-adhesive paper. They were not designed with collectors in mind but were intended to fulfill an administrative need at the local level.
Edited by rod222 - 01/04/2020 9:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a chore to puzzle out the municipality's arms in the vignette, but if it's municipal, I suspect that the stamp strongly resembles those arms.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roman mounted legionaire, or officer, looks like a moor standing.

Checked thousands of "municipal" stamps
Checked eBay "Koeppel" avail

Zippo.

Edited by rod222 - 01/04/2020 10:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the man on the ground is being run through.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1245 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The man on the horse might be St Martin,giving one half of his coat.
But in Italy there are plenty of towns called San Martino
San Martino sulle Maruccina,San Martino in Pensilis,....

Edited by vayolene - 01/05/2020 01:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to be part of a serie.This one for sale is the 20L yellow version.
https://www.sdcollectables.co.uk/it...-60295-p.asp

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The plot thickens.
I checked using text string Riscontro, on all municipal A-M,
N-Z appear missing.
The other fly in the ointment, say "St Martin" may be in a municipality with another name.
Given time, I think we shall solve it, albeit both examples we have here, look somewhat dodgy to me.
The perforations in the Marapaul example look dodgy also.

Edited by rod222 - 01/05/2020 6:35 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 745Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05