Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Identify These Old Russian Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lost-in-time to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I acquired a stamp collection from my grandfather a number of years ago and just got around to really looking through it, as it was quite extensive and I just didn't have time. I am a 30+ year coin and currency collector, so I am familiar with collecting as a hobby, however I know little to nothing about stamps...much less old stamps from all over the world.

There are some pretty good finds in there so far, and I'm only 60 percent through it. I'm finding that it's a rather interesting hobby. I wish I would have gone through all this when my pops was around to answer questions, but nevertheless...

Can anyone help me to identify these old Russian stamps. I just cant find where these are listed anywhere in these colors. The 20 should have a yellowish center, and the 10 should be blue, correct?

Thanks,
David

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28054 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
David,
the first thing to look at with Russian Stamps
1. The value tablet currency (If PEN then Finland)
2. Whether the stamp has crossed lightning Bolts (to establish year of issue)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/12/2020 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
713 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, they are Finland I believe. I'm no expert but if you check 20th Century, pre-WWI then you should find them.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2835 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blue stamp has a partial HELSINGFORS HELSINKI postmark.

Many Finnish postmarks at this time had a common pattern with the Swedish version of the town's name at the top left, the Finnish version at the top right and the Russian version at the bottom.

The red stamp shows part of the Russian name from the bottom of the postmark.
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Post some of your "finds"
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In case anyone wonders why the stamps of Finland and of Russia in the late 19th and early 20th century are so similar looking, it is because, as the note in Scott's at the beginning of the Finland section says, "Finland was a Grand Duchy of the Russian Empire from 1809 until December 1917, when it declared its independence." Further notes later on in the Finland section tell how to distinguish stamps of the two countries, because as the illustrations show, designs A7 to A18 spanning roughly the years 1891- 1917, are very similar to those of Russia, with mainly the difference in currency, pennia and markka for Finland vs. kopecks and rubles for Russia to differentiate them.
2 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lost-in-time to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

I haven't yet gone over any responses to my original post as I have spent quite a few sleepless nights pouring over this stamp collection...fascinating!

OK, I found another Russian stamp in which the coloring doesn't match the definitive examples. I will post a picture of it here, and some photos of other interesting stamps I've run across thus far. Please keep in mind that a week ago I knew nothing of stamps, so I might use some wording/phrases incorrectly; any corrections are appreciated. I am now half-way through, and frankly, I need to take a break from this for a few days. There are still many countries I have yet to go through e.g. Austria, India, China, and a host of others. Also, I really haven't gone through all my German (pop was German so there are MANY German stamps to go through still), Russian, and British etc...So who knows what remains to be uncovered! There are stamps from all kinds of places, many I've never even heard of. I just started Great Britain and reached burnout with all the watermarks and details.

If you have any info on any of these stamps it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to see a close up or ask about any of these please feel free. If you know of others that I should look for please let me know. There are so many stamps, complete sets, duplicates etc. and I don't know anyone in real life who collects, or knows about, stamps and I don't want to overlook anything that might be valuable.

So guys, round one is over with, check these out and tell me what you think. I will read all your replies and respond as soon as I am able. And I will get to round 2 when I can carve out the time.

Thanks and enjoy,
David

P.S. I am temporarily storing the stamps in PVC free coin flips, as that's what I have at my disposal. If this is bad for the stamps then please let me know.

This another old Russian stamp with unusual coloring

ThisRussian 7 might be valuable but I cant tell.

Czech:

Canada:

German:
Here we have an example of an imperf and perferated stamp and others of interest.

More German:

Italy:
The 2 does not have the estero overprint.

More Italy:

Spain:

Portugal:

Cuba:

Australia:
I believe the 1 has a vertical watermark.

Great Britian:

Sweden:

Some U.S.:
One of the airmail stamps is the "open door" error.
The 10 and 3's are together, still connected at the perferations
Interesting cancelation mark "Mail early for Christmas"

Some interesting pre-cancel marks i.e. 5c postage due with inverted mark.

30c Buffalo with vertical pre-cancelation mark.

That's all I can get to for now. I really need to sit down with someone who knows what all this really is. Identifying a design is one thing, but I know nothing of condition, markings, subtle differences etc...

Thanks again
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28054 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's all I can get to for now. I really need to sit down with someone who knows what all this really is. Identifying a design is one thing, but I know nothing of condition, markings, subtle differences etc...
Thanks again

I can suggest one thing, and it's not pretty !
If, what you show are stamps in coin pockets, then they will be on their way to be totally destroyed.

Coin pockets can be PVC which will leach out all the colour from the stamps
I have an example album I have kept for years of such a thing....horrible!
I have no way of knowing if yours is so, but it pretty much looks like it.
Good Luck.

Some remain apparently unaffected, whilst others (See the KG Vl ) completely drained of colour........
The image Left hand side of the back of a stamp, shows a stamp part image actually melted or diffused right into the plastic.

Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2020 4:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
713 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you've caught the stamp bug! Congratulations.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lost in time: a couple of corrections, the first stamp you show, with the denomination of 20 pennia, is Finland, not Russia. See my earlier post: if it's pennia or markka it's Finland, if it's kopecks or rubles, it's Russia. The one in the lower right corner of the second page, the blue and red one with the man holding a flag, is Azerbaijan, not Russia,and the two on the page where you say German, with an example of an imperforate and a perforated stamp, these are from Austria, 15 heller bister, from 1919-1920. The perforate one is Scott 207, and the imperf one is Scott 231.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05