Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Pf Didn't Like My Amonette-identified "Intense Ob" 10A.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
426 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stamp is from an Amonette color chart identified as "Intense Orange Brown." Folks here pointed out that the lightened pen cancel makes this a dubious choice as an example of a premium shade. The PF agreed and returned a cert stating that it is just a normal Orange Brown. All my other Chase or Amonette-identified premium shades of this issue received corroborating PF certs. So.. .does anyone know where I can get an "Intense Orange Brown?"

FWIW, I think this is an "Intense OB," but a bad example - the shade is distinct from my other couple dozen 10/10As.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1810 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear that.

At a 10,000 foot level, it sounds like maybe the PF is doing an ok job of expertising 3c colors. I say this empirically, based upon everything working out, except for a rare color, that may have been bleached to lighten the cancel, thus altering its nature a bit.

Then you get to the point of, 'where is the end of the spectrum' for this color variety?

Anyway, good luck finding one. The only two significant imperforate colors I could just not get were: Intense OB, and Pinkish.
I'm sure you will fare better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the peroxide treatments done on these stamps has altered the pen cancel. Like txstamp, I am seeking just the Intense OB and the pinkish. I have examples of all the other shades, including Plum. I'm now looking at the 1861 3c shades, and it is much more difficult to find verified shades. I sent 8 interesting "shades" to the PF, and 7 of them were "rose" despite the clear color differences in them.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1347 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, and it would be interesting to know if any certification company does expertise the rare 3c 1861 colors, or in other words if McClung does any expertising for any of them (...of the colors and of the companies). I did not find, for example, a lavender pink in the PF search. So if PF and PSE just certify as pink, pigeon blood pink and rose, no need to send some other rare colors.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PF and PSE (and probably the others) definitely offer shade opinions on the 1861 3c. Jan Hofmeyr's awesome exhibit showcases the shades and explains that the expertizing agencies often disagree on the shades with PSE more often listing "standard" shades than the PF.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philazilla - ever heard or a medium deep orange brown 10A? Is it the same as an intense orange brown? I have one with an Amonette cert (of sorts) listed as "med-deep orange brown" on cover with cert dated 7/13/99. Will add scan later when I get a chance if you'd like.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Able to squeeze it in now... here it is. There was a note with the cert which you'll see below also. Not sure who wrote it.

Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamp - the note is Amonette's - looks like it is "almost" Intense OB. I have a "Medium Deep OB" as identified by Amonette:

Here after a dip in peroxide:

And here before:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2156 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amonette meant that the color was somewhere between medium OB and deep OB.

Phillazilla's stamp is I think from Plate 1E/i... 46R sticks in my head as one of the few C-relief positions. Since the gash probably couldn't survive re-entry, early state is a good guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it interesting the description Amonette gave it - "med-deep orange brown". Scott lists an 'orange' and a 'deep orange' brown but no 'medium' deep. Sort of leaves you hanging in between...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2156 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not really a head scratcher. My opinion is that 99%+ of all 3c stamps are in-betweeners.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1810 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chase/Amonette characterized colors in ranges in the spectrum. They used:

Pale to Deep

and

Dull to Bright

"Intense", would be beyond "Deep", so to speak, and is reserved for the Intense OB in terminology.

So on a color chart, you get a whole montage of Orange Browns, progressing from left to right starting with Pale, and progressing to Deep. It is interesting to see each color presented this way, as you can see a full progression of different saturations of the same color.

Many, if not most color charts don't show these full progressions. The Chase, and some of Bill's fancier charts have that, and are very fun to study.
Edited by txstamp - 01/15/2020 11:08 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05