Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Game Changing Find With A Precancel On It ???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 948Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add precanceler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
AS a long time collector and buyer of accumulations and collections, this past summer I was lucky enough to be high bidder on a partial collection from Indiana. When I got the lot in the mail and began really looking at what I had bought, I found 3 Shelbyville 734's, a few pages later I saw what I thought was a fairly common South Whitley L-1 on a Scott 300 stamp, with a straight edge. The straight edge is what made me look a second time, that was when I noticed it was a coil perf 12 vertically. So I grabbed up my pages of an old Scott I tore out and use to ID stamps, etc and saw this potentially is a 318, and has no known USED Copies. I did my due diligence in checking if it was one that had perfs cut off, and it doesn't look like it to me. Anyway this will be on its way to APS for expertizing soon. Just thought I'd share.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Keep us posted!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2777 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two very similar South Whitley precancels currently listed on Ebay both with APS certs stating they are trimmed #300 sheet stamps. What features of your stamp differentiate it to make it a genuine 318 to you?
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mattstef to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was a large format plate, probably designed to cancel a sheet of stamps at a time.
The chances that it was used on the coil issue is slim to none, especially so well aligned...
If you haven't sent it off yet, I'd think twice (and thrice, and whatever comes after that) about it.
Chances are you'll end up with another APS cert saying it's a trimmed 300.
Hope that's helpful.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add precanceler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Matt, I sent this to Arnold to submit for expertise, See I have a calibrated straight edge I used to use in aviation work and put the edges of this stamp up against it. Result was no "scissor cut variations" that I could see. But then I also no longer have access to a 100x microscope like I did when I was adequately employed, which I might have also used for closer examination. Hopefully we will see something back in May.?? further updates of course.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 04/26/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Must be an epidemic of them.

Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add precanceler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well results are back and experts agree, on top, CUT perfs. But dang, whoever cut em did a mighty fine job. Am going to mount it on its own page in my Indiana section of my T&T. TY all for being patient for this update. New threads in a bit will need some help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update. Too bad it came back with negative opinion, but appreciate your being candid and updating us!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Too bad it came back with negative opinion, but appreciate your being candid and updating us!

Fully agree. Thanks for the update.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with khj and Partime, getting resolution back on such an instance is great.
Thank you for the update precanceler.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 948Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05