Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cherrystone Competition Fierce Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
336 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my collecting area, I thought today's auction was extremely competitive. I managed to win 2 of the 5 but they were both wars. Wasn't expecting it. Not sure what others thought for the US classics. It has definitely been more competitive than many others previously. I'm not sure if that is due to lower starting numbers garnering more interest, the highest quality rarities or both.

It is reassuring to know modern rarities are highly sought after and not just a footnote to classic collecting.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4007 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a sellers market right now with a lot of over exuberance on buyers part. I did not see much in the way of "wow" material in the Cherrystone auction. In fact a lot of the material is rather blah when it comes to centering and condition.

Buy High - Sell Low
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
336 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 227's buyer was astute. The description doesn't tell the story of the real error, that it used the wrong perforator.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1842 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just skimmed parts of the Cherrystone sale, and I agree that it wasn't loaded with top tier material. Numerous lots were passed, and modest realizations on many.

The Modern EFO section, however, may have been one of the stronger areas in terms of what they had (for US at least), and, clearly, there was competition there.

It can be annoying when what you collect happens to be the most popular part of a given sale.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4466 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ANNOYING -----annoying ???? How about Harmer-Schau Auction !!!

I got kicked in the teeth .

Lot #1843 French Colonies opening est. $625.00 ok I will throw in a $1350.00 bid ......thank you goes for $4,000

Lot #1844 again French Colonies opening est. $375.00 ok I will get this one at $1175.00 .....thank you goes for $1900.00

Now I am pissed ....

Lot 2135 just a few albums of Middle East countries opening bid $1150.00 ok I got this .......set my limit at $3,000 thanks it goes at $7,000 .

now crying .
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gleiska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Canadian FDCs, and was bidding on some auctions on Weeda Stamps last night - local auctioneer where I live - and there was a lot of about 375 FDCs...maybe 1/3rd of them from the 2000s and the rest from 1980s and a few 90s... Nobody was paying much attention so I tossed $160 on it and had it at $70 for the longest time.... then someone comes along and bids it up to $170.

You can't even sell 1980s Canadian FDC because the market is so oversaturated and at $1+ each for the modern ones...

Woof... Seller's market it is!
Valued Member
152 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And this is bad...because why?

The forum is constantly complaining about a lack of new collectors... the stamp market is dead... blah blah blah

There are some good realizations and now the sky is somehow falling.

Seems to me that regardless of the outcome that that result is somehow spun as bad. Perhaps stamp collectors are pessimists in general.

I am happy that realizations are trending upwards. Perhaps this is due to place like SCF and Don Denman trying to move the hobby into the 20th century in terms of information.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4007 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A great time to sell and I am.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
415 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a new collector, this is encouraging to me. I keep coming across articles of stamp collecting is dead blah blah - and I am like NO! I just discovered it - I definitely want to see stamp collecting modernized and staying relevant.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
795 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   10:39 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to the story here, my last few weeks in eBay sales have been my best by far and by a lot. Not sure what's going on, but not complaining.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4466 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just got finish with the Collection Auction at Kelleher yesterday . Good results for the stamp market . Prices were strong ,happy the market is holding up on prices .

The Worldwide Collections section is showing strong sale prices. Now waiting for the check .

It is true if you sell decent clean Worldwide material well organized it does return in the long run .Plan to start another Worldwide Collection with my purchases, give me about two years ,then match it up to my main collection before consigning it to auction .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4007 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are right Floortrader. The lots that I was after went for top of estimate in all cases except for one which doubled the top estimate. The lots that I had in the sale all did well too. All in all it is a good time what with the strong economy and all.

Edit: Heck, even all of the UN stuff sold at good money. Now that is a strong market!
Edited by rogdcam - 02/02/2020 10:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   12:36 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did 996 belong to one of you guys? It's mine now!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4007 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not mine Ken. Awesome lot!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is very nice, the description doesn't mention much about the post 1940 albums but Part II, III, and IV have more stamps than I ever seen in those albums and are worth quite a lot by themselves.

I also picked up 1001 and bought a 4 Volume Part I on eBay on Friday night so I scored 59 Scott International Albums this weekend. That should keep me out of trouble for a while.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05