Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Printing Errors - Questions

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From definitions I found googling (Linns):

Offset:
1) A printing process that transfers an inked image from a plate to a roller. The roller then applies the ink to paper.
2) The transfer of part of a stamp design or an overprint from one sheet to the back of another, before the ink has dried (also called set off). Such impressions are in reverse (see Mirror image).

They are different from stamps printed on both sides.

The Lot description of the Harmer-Schau example:

U.S.; General Issues, 1873, 3 Green, Heavy Offset on Reverse, #158 var, used, very strong mirror images of parts of 4 on reverse, spectacular variety, erroneously listed as #158k on cert., Very Fine, 2006 P.S.E. cert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by banknoteguy - 01/16/2020 08:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
6754 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It could have been caused by poor plate wiping, dirty hands at the press, or the sheet being disturbed in some way before the ink dried.

I think sinclair2010 has it correct...Removing sheets for continuous proof reading and replacing sheet to the stack...Maybe thumb print.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
worn plates rust, thumb or finger prints, pitting and plate cracks and poor impressions caused by too little or too much water are often found on these issues, along with set-off from wet sheet stacking. they are most common on the 3 centers as they were the most widely used. one big cause was the quality of the steel used in making the plates. paper quality also played a part in the mix.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another banknote (Sc.158) with a printing (actually perfing) issue. Would this be considered a vertical perfing error? How should this example be described? Vertically imperforate on left?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2355 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's miscut. Printed in sheets of 200 cut into panes of 100 thru that gutter. I think pieces like this were called straddle panes at one time. Properly cut each sheet yielded 20 straight edged stamps.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Can anyone post a good image of a double transfer of one of the varieties of the 3c green banknote (136,147,158,184,207)???

I have purchased stamps described as being such an animal but I can not see it on the stamp in hand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1226 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
banknoteguy, re offset: As you saw from the definitions you found there is some inexactitude of usage here. The term "offset" to describe a particular printing method is well-established. The same term at one time was also used to describe the transfer of a design from one sheet of stamps to the back of another, as in your original example. In more recent times the term "setoff" has been introduced to describe the latter phenomenon, the term "offset" thereby being unambiguously reserved to describe the printing method. I suppose there is a lot to be said for precision, but to my aged philatelic ear the word "setoff" sounds weird. I still use "offset" in both senses.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4010 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you Dudley and I prefer to use the term offset although I have been trying to conform.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3490 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, we create confusion so we won't have confusion. Makes perfect sense...not!
Learn More...
7696 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eschew obfuscation!

Don
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I am definitely better informed about the shades of meaning of the terms offset and setoff. And only the tiniest bit off put ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6321 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using "offset" in both ways for far too long to change now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
598 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The term "offset" is correct in both instances. The stamp is printed with offset intentionally. The wet stamps, when stacked unintentionally offset on the stamp above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
offset is plate to offset blanket to stamp using oil and water repel, setoff is direct wet stamp to stamp transfer
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another stamp that I have questions on. I think this is a short transfer but would like other opinions. Especially anyone who has seen this same/similar thing on a S.147 banknote.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05